Welcome to UNMC and congratulations on your appointment!
Welcome to UNMC and congratulations on your appointment! This checklist has been prepared to ease your transition into your new position. Although specific departments/units may have additional requirements, in general here's what you'll need to do when you arrive on campus:
Check-in with PI/Mentor. Your PI/Mentor will introduce you to the people you'll be working with and help you become familiar with your work area. Your PI/Mentor may also know of additional steps required by your department.
Check-in with your Departmental Administrator to discuss:
- Procedure for obtaining a Social Security Number (SSN), if If you’re an international postdoc, obtain a Social Security number (SSN). Visit the Social Security Administration (SSA) to apply for a SSN only after you've been in the US for at least 10 days. The SSA will give you a letter confirming your request for a SSN. You'll need to show your department administrator this letter to receive your pay.
- Payroll paperwork; if a U.S. citizen, bring your (1) Social Security card and (2) passport or driver’s license. If an International postdoc, bring your (1) Social Security card or SSN request letter and (2) identifying documents as listed on Form I-9.
- How to obtain your UNMC ID Badge (Student Life Center, Room 2002).
- Obtaining Building and Laboratory access (badge access or keys).
- UNMC email address.
- UNMC parking information.
- UNMC benefits eligibility (via Firefly). You have 31 days from your date of hire to enroll. Review the online information here (https://nebraska.edu/faculty-and-staff/health-benefits/new-employee-benefit-enrollment).
- Check-in with International Health & Medical Information Office (IHME) if you're an international scholar with a J-1 or H1B visa. The office is located in the 4230 Building (Business Services Center Bldg) west of 42nd Street between Leavenworth & Emile Streets. Be sure to ask about the New International Scholar Orientation sessions coming up.
- UNMC Parking Portal (https://unmcparking.t2hosted.com/Account/Portal) to buy your bus pass or parking
- Open a checking/savings account. Having an account with the Metro Credit Union or one of the many banks in Omaha allows you easy access to your money and simplifies many common transactions (e.g., direct deposit of your paycheck and withdrawals from citywide ATMs).
- Visit us at the Office of Postdoctoral Education (Academic Research Services Building, Room 2004). We'll give you a welcome packet and ask you to provide your contact information so we can send you important announcements. If you have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Register your vehicle with the state of Nebraska and obtain a Nebraska Driver’s License
- Attend New Employee Orientation within a month of your arrival and visit the website.
- Complete Responsible and Ethical Conduct of Research (RCR) training within the first year of employment. This is mandatory training that must be completed within the first year in order for your contract to be renewed. See our website for more information here: https://www.unmc.edu/postdoced/current/conduct/index.html