Thank you for your interest in the Psychiatry Residency Training Program at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Please review the following information carefully prior to submitting your application through ERAS.
Eligibility for an interviewGraduates of LCME or AOA accredited medical schools:
- No barriers to licensure and practice in Nebraska.
- Passage of USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Level 1 with no more than two failures total for all board-related required exams.
- At least one Letter of Recommendation (LOR) from an active clinical psychiatrist who can attest to the personal attributes and clinical performance of the applicant
- If transferring from another training program, please provide a letter from your current training director indicating that you are in good standing
- Ideally taken and passed USMLE 2 CK or COMLEX 2 CE by the December before Match Day
- Individuals with multiple remediations or reiterations of courses or clerkships are also unlikely to gain an interview
- Applicants who have previously interviewed with the program are unlikely to receive a second interview
- Those with violations of honor code or related concerns about professionalism are unlikely to be interviewed
Graduates of non-LCME or AOA accredited medical schools:
- Applicants must be eligible for medical licensure in the state of Nebraska. Candidates must have graduated from a medical school found on the California approved list; affiliation with a school is not sufficient. The list may be found here.
- Applicants who are not U.S. Citizens must be permanent residents, eligible for a J-1 visa sponsored by the ECFMG, or hold a current H-1B visa (n.b., UNMC does not sponsor H-1B visas)
- At least 1 letter of recommendation based on no less than four weeks of formal clinical training in an LCME or AOA accredited medical school or ACGME accredited training program (observer and physician assistant positions do not qualify) -OR- performance of significant and relevant research, or clinical work beyond that required for graduation from medical school (e.g., residency program, Ph.D. program)
- Passage of USMLE Step 1 and 2 CK or COMLEX Level 1 and 2 CE with no more than two failures total for all required exams
- The Residency Program Leadership makes decisions regarding interview invitations with assistance from the Selection and Evaluation Committee.
- Invitations will be extended no earlier than 4 pm (Central Time).
- Each invitation will come with a period of no less than 72 hours for an applicant response.
- Invitations will not exceed the number of slots; waitlist requests will be taken but not guaranteed.