International On Campus Deadline
Domestic On Campus
*Priority deadline is for scholarship consideration.
Step 1 | SOPHAS Admission & Application Requirements
To apply for admission to the Master of Public Health program, applicants are required to complete the online Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS) application.*
- Epidemiology Concentration Prerequisites:
The student must have received the equivalent of a grade of B or higher in one college level precalculus or similar math course.
- Environmental and Occupational Health Prerequisites:
The student must have successfully completed the following courses: one semester of biology, one semester of chemistry, and one semester of college-level math.
- Biostatistics Concentration Prerequisites:
The student must have received the equivalent of a grade of B or better in college level statistics and algebra. One calculus course is recommended.
Official transcripts are required from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
SOPHAS | P.O. Box 9111 | Watertown, MA 02471
617-612-2090 | Email | Website
- This applies to current or former UNMC students.
- Photocopies of transcripts will not be accepted.
- WES reports should be sent directly from WES to SOPHAS.
- Please ensure that you enter your SOPHAS ID number on your WES evaluation request to ensure your evaluation can be matched to your application.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) - GRE Institutional Code 0695
The GRE is optional for all applicants, but it is highly recommended for any applicant with below a 3.0 GPA from their previous coursework.
- GRE scores should be sent by ETS directly to SOPHAS using the UNMC COPH SOPHAS GRE Code: 0695
Letters of Recommendation
Applicants must submit 3 letters of recommendation from individuals who can speak to academic, practice and/or research abilities.
Guidelines and Suggestions:
- Ideally, your recommenders are recent professors, researchers or employers.
- Recent graduates (last 1-3 years) should include faculty references among their 3 references.
- For those who may have graduated or have been employed in the workforce for several years, or who is a member
inthe armed services; recommendation letters from employers and supervisors would be appropriate.
The personal statement should be single-spaced, no more than one page in length, and describe the applicants:
- Interest in and potential for contributing to the field of public health and their chosen concentration.
- Career objectives
- Self-assessment of personal skills and general preparation for succeeding in a public health graduate program.
The personal statement is your introduction to the faculty and your opportunity to relay why you should be accepted into the program. This document is vital piece of the admission process and should be well written. Please take the time to present yourself in the best possible manner.
Resume or CV
An updated resume/CV that includes:
- Employment history
- Professional experiences/skills
- Volunteer/service experience
English Proficiency Requirement
TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo scores are required of all applicants who has not received a previous degree from a US institution or a country where the only official language is English, such as U.K., Australia, or Canada (excluding Quebec).
- TOEFL: 550-Paper, 213-computer, 80-internet
- IELTS: 6.5
- Duolingo: 120
Scores must have been earned within two years prior the desired term of entry.
Submitting your official scores:
- Educational Testing Services (ETS) send official scores to the SOPHAS TOEFL code: 5688.
- An institution code is not required
- IELTS Taken in a Test Center
Inform your IELTS test center that you wish to send your results to SOPHAS. You can do this during the test booking process by selecting SOPHAS or asking your test center to select SOPHAS after you receive your results. IELTS results are sent to SOPHAS electronically.
- IELTS Online
Send your results to SOPHAS using the IELTS test taker portal. You can send your IELTS results to as many organizations as you wish with no additional fee. IELTS Online results are provided in an electronic format.
- A few days after taking the exam, you will receive the certified test results. You will need to log on to your account and click on the "send results"button next to your test results. Finally, select the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Public Health to have your results sent to us. For additional information, please review the Frequently Asked Questions.
Step 2 | Check Your Application Status on SOPHAS
You should check the SOPHAS portal to ensure that all required documents have been received by SOPHAS and that your completed application has been sent to UNMC College of Public Health. Please note that it may take SOPHAS up to 3-4 weeks to process and send your SOPHAS application to UNMC. It is recommended that you begin the application process well in advance of the application deadline.
Upon receiving your completed application and supporting documents, your application will be considered ready for review. The UNMC College of Public Health Admissions Committee reviews applications weekly and will review your application once it is complete and verified. Following
UNMC College of Public Health
984359 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE. 68198-4359
The University of Nebraska Medical Center takes pride in its diverse population and is committed to providing all students the opportunity to take full advantage of its programs and facilities. In keeping with this philosophy, UNMC strives to eliminate architectural and programmatic barriers that may prevent qualified students with disabilities from obtaining an academic or professional degree. If you are a student with a disability who needs reasonable accommodations to fully participate in PROGRAM NAME, including the interview process [or other applicable admissions-based activities] please contact the Accessibility Services Center at UNMCASC@unmc.edu or 402.559.7276 or by visiting Accessibility Services Center Website.