Master of Science (MS) in Biostatistics
All materials must be received by the application deadline to be considered for admission
Applicants are required to complete the online Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS) application. All application materials need to be submitted through SOPHAS.
All applicants must hold (or be awarded before entry) a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or a related field from an accredited college or university, with a GPA of at least B (3.0 on a 4.0-point scale). Applicants need to have taken undergraduate courses in calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and introductory statistics, each with a grade of B (3.0 on a 4.0-point scale) or higher.
NOTE: Applicants without one or more of the stated prerequisites may be considered for admission to the MS but should conditional admission be offered, the prerequisites must be fulfill before full admission is granted and registering in the core curriculum.
Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities.
Domestic or US Transcripts
Must be sent from the institution's Registrar’s Office directly to SOPHAS at the following address:
- This applies to current or former UNMC students.
- Photocopies of transcripts will not be accepted.
All non-US transcripts must be evaluated by the World Education Service (WES) using their ICAP Course-by-course evaluation service. For further instructions, you may visit www.wes.org/sophas.
- WES reports should be sent directly from WES to SOPHAS.
- Please ensure that you enter your SOPHAS ID number on your WES evaluation request to ensure your evaluation can be matched to your application.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation. At least one of the references must be academic (from a professor, instructor, or faculty mentor).
Statement of Intent
A one-page personal statement describing the applicant’s:
- Interest in and potential for contributing to the field of biostatistics
- Career objectives
- Self-assessment of computer, quantitative analysis, personal skills, and general preparation for succeeding in a biostatistics MS program
Resume or CV
A resume or curriculum vitae.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- The GRE is optional for students who meet the minimum GPA (3.0) and prerequisite grade (B) requirements.
- The GRE is required for applicants whose overall GPA is less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or have received a C in one or more of the pre-requisite courses. Many factors are considered in evaluating an individual's application, but many successful applicants will have verbal, quantitative, and analytic writing GRE scores at or above the 40th percentile.
- GRE scores should be sent by ETS directly to SOPHAS using the UNMC COPH SOPHAS GRE Code: 0695
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores must be from within the last five years.
Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores are required of all applicants whose primary language is not English or whose undergraduate degree is from a college or university outside of the United States. Minimum scores of 550 (paper), 213 (Computer), and 80 (Internet) are required.