Department of Environmental, Agricultural & Occupational Health
College of Public Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2013-Present Associate Professor, Department of Environmental, Agricultural, and Occupational Health, UNMC
- 2011-Present Visiting Professor Kazakhstan National Medical University
- 2008-2013 Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental, Agricultural, and Occupational Health, UNMC
- 2002-2008 Industrial Hygienist, U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- 2001-2002 Assistant Industrial Hygienist, University of Iowa
- PhD Occupational and Environmental Health (Industrial Hygiene), University of Iowa, 2001
- MS Preventative Medicine and Environmental Health, University of Iowa, 1996
- BS (Honors) Chemistry, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia, 1991
Research Interest & Projects
My research interests are in evaluating and controlling occupational and environmental exposures. My specific interests include occupational noise exposures and hearing loss, air pollution, dust and pesticide exposures among farm workers, heat stress, physical and chemical environmental exposures, environmental tobacco smoke exposure, global health, and occupational stress.
- Hall RM, Achutan C, Sollberger R, McCleery R, Rodriguez M. Exposure Assessment for Roofers Exposed to Silica during Installation of Roof Tiles. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. 10(1): D6–10, 2013.
- Stover D and Achutan C. Occupational Exposures to Antineoplastic Drugs in an Oncology-hematology Department. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. 8(1): D1–6, 2011.
- Achutan C, West C, Mueller C, Bernert JT and Bernard B. Environmental Tobacco Smoke Exposure Exposure Among Casino Dealers. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 53(4): 346-351, 2011.
- Achutan C. Noise Exposures at a Hospital Kitchen. Noise & Health. 11(44): 145–150, 2009.
- Achutan C and Tubbs RL. Potato Processing and Manufacture of Animal Feed. Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health. 13(4):367–374, 2007.
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
- National Hearing Conservation Association