Research Asst. Professor
Department of Environmental, Agricultural & Occupational Health
Center for Global Health & Development
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2010-present, Research Asst. Professor & Head, CGHAD-Lab, Center for Global Health & Development, Department of Environmental, Agricultural & Occupational Health, College of Public Health - UNMC
- 2007-2010, Post-doctoral Fellow, Neonatology, University of Maryland School of Medicine - UMB
- 2004-2007, Research Officer, Department of Microbiology - AIIMS, New Delhi, India
- 2001-2003, Sr. Research Fellow, Indian Council of Medical Research - AIIMS, New Delhi, India
- 1997-2000, Jr. Research Fellow, Biotechnology, Min. of Sc. & Tech., - AIIMS, New Delhi, India
- PhD, Medical Microbiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, India, 2004
- MS, Microbiology, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India, 1994
- BS, Life Sciences, University of Jodhpur, India, 1990
Laboratory and evidence based research to improve population health. This is specifically, perinatal health of women and early life morbidities of infants, by studying the at-risk populations with special emphasis on human gut-microbiota and the environment. Current areas of research interests mainly involves-
- Developing infant gut microbiome and environmental enteropathy
- Antimicrobial resistance surveillance, gut reservoirs and ESBL-gene carriage in the community
- Human gut metagenomics, Obesity and perinatal-newborn health
- Gut flora modulation and Probiotics
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- Indian Immunological Society (IIS)
- Indian Association of Mycoplasmology (IAM)
- Alumni Association of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMSONIANS)
- Visiting Faculty, Asian Institute of Public Health, Bhubaneswar, India (AIPH)
- Panigrahi P, Parida S, Nanda NC, Satpathy R, Pradhan L, Chandel DS, et al. A randomized synbiotic trial to prevent sepsis among infants in rural India. Nature, 2017; 548(7668). 407-412.
Panigrahi P, Chandel DS, Hansen N, Sharma N, Kandefer S, Parida S, et al. Neonatal Sepsis in Rural India: Timing, Microbiology, and Antibiotic resistance in a population based prospective study in the community setting. J. Perinatology. 2017; 37(8):911-21.
- Chandel DS, Perez-Munoz ME, Fang Yu, Boissy R, Satpathy R, Misra PR, Sharma N, Chaudhry R, Parida S, Peterson DA, Gewolb IH, Panigrahi P. Changes in the gut microbiota after early administration of oral synbiotics to young infants in India. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2017; doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000001522. [Epub ahead of print].
- Padhi BK, Adhikari A, Satapathy P, Patra AK, Chandel DS, Panigrahi P. Predictors and respiratory depositions of airborne endotoxin in homes using biomass fuels and LPG gas for cooking. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2017; 27(1): 112-117.
- Patel K, Konduru K, Patra AK, Chandel DS, Panigrahi P. Trends and determinants of gastric bacterial colonization of preterm neonates in a NICU setting. PLoS One. 2015; 10(7): e0114664.
- Chaudhry R, Das A, Premlatha MM, Choudhary A, Chourasia BK, Chandel DS, et al. Serological and Molecular Approaches for Diagnosis of Leptospirosis in a Tertiary care Hospital in North India: A 10-year study. Indian J Med Res. 2013; 137: 785–90.
- Chandel DS, Braileanu GT, Chen JH, Chen HH, Panigrahi P. Live Colonocytes in Newborn Stool: Surrogates for Evaluation of Gut Physiology and Disease Pathogenesis. Pediatr Res. 2011; 70(2): 153-158.
- Chandel DS, Johnson JA, Chaudhry R, Sharma N, Shinkre N, Parida S, Misra PR, Panigrahi P. Extended spectrum β-Lactamase producing Gram-negative bacteria causing Neonatal sepsis in India in Rural and Urban settings. J Med Microbiol. 2011; 60(4): 500-507.
- Chandel DS, Chaudhry R, Dey AB, Malhotra P. Molecular typing reveals a unique clone of Salmonella enterica Serotype Typhi among Indian strains. J Clin Microbiol. 2006; 44(7): 2673 -75.
- Chandel DS, Chaudhry R. Enteric fever treatment failures: A global concern. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001; 7(4): 762-63.
- Chandel DS, Nisar N, Chaudhry R. Role of Molecular typing in an outbreak of Salmonella enterica serovar paratyphi A: Trop Gastroentrol 2000; (July-Sep.): 121-23.
- Chandel DS, Chaudhry R, Dhawan B, Pandey A, Dey AB. Drug resistant Salmonella enterica serotype paratyphi A in India. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000; 6(4) 420-21.