Professor and Chair
Department of Environmental, Agricultural & Occupational Health
College of Public Health
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases
University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2014-2015 Interim Associate Dean for Research, College of Public Health, UNMC, Omaha, NE
- 2011-present Professor, Dept. of Environmental, Agricultural & Occupational Health, Eppley Institute and Dept. of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UNMC, Omaha, NE
- 2007-present Chair, Dept. of Environmental, Agricultural & Occupational Health, UNMC, Omaha, NE
- 1990-2011 Professor, Eppley Institute and Dept. of Pharm. Sciences, UNMC, Omaha, NE
- 1989 Academic tenure
- 1980-1990 Associate Professor, Eppley Institute and Dept. of Pharm. Sciences, UNMC, Omaha, NE
- 1976-1980 Assistant Professor, Eppley Institute and Dept. of Pharm. Sciences, UNMC, Omaha, NE
- 1973-1976 Research Associate with E. Cavalieri, Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer, Univ. of NE Medical Center (UNMC), Omaha, NE
- 1971-1973 Research Associate with J.H. Coggin, Jr., Dept. of Microbiology, Univ. of TN
- 1969-1971 Post-doctoral Fellow with K.J. Monty, Dept. of Biochem., Univ. of TN, Knoxville, TN
- 1968-1969 Lecturer, Department of Biology, Goucher College, Towson, MD
- 1965-1968 USPHS Predoctoral Fellow, The Johns Hopkins University
- AB, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA, 1963
- PhD, Johns Hopkins Univ., Baltimore, MD, 1968
- Post-Doc, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 1969-71
- 2006 The Twelfth Linus Pauling Functional Medicine Award, The Institute for Functional Medicine
- 2007 Distinguished Scientist Award, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2010 Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Public Health, UNMC
- 2017 Chancellor Robert D. Sparks Award in Public Health and Preventive Medicine, College of Public Health, UNMC.
Research Interests & Projects
My research centers around elucidating mechanisms of activation of carcinogens, identifying carcinogen-DNA adducts, and correlating adducts with oncogenic mutations. From our previous study of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) metabolism and DNA adducts, we have demonstrated that the predominant adducts are lost by depurination, leaving mutagenic apurinic sites in the DNA. This research involved identification and quantitation of PAH-DNA adducts and correlation of the adducts with Harvey-ras mutations in mouse skin papillomas induced by the PAH. We have extended our studies to endogenous catechol estrogen metabolites and found that the carcinogenic metabolites form depurinating N3Ade and N7Gua adducts in DNA. We hypothesize that this is the pathway of initiation for human breast, ovarian, thyroid, prostate and other cancers. Studies in test tubes, laboratory animal models, cell culture models and human subjects have demonstrated the validity of this hypothesis. Now we are working on the early detection of cancer risk and prevention of cancer by selected natural compounds.
- Cavalieri, E.L., and Rogan, E.G. Etiology and prevention of prevalent types of cancer. J. Rare Dis Res Treat., pp. 22-29, 2017.
- Cavalieri, E.L., Rogan, E.G. and Zahid, M. Critical depurinating DNA adducts: estrogen adducts in the etiology and prevention of cancer and dopamine adducts in the etiology and prevention of Parkinson’s disease. Int. J. Cancer, doi: 10.1002/ijc.0728, 2017.
- Cavalieri, E.L. and Rogan, E.G. Inhibition of depurinating estrogen-DNA adduct formation in the prevention of breast and other cancers. In: Russo, J., ed. Trends in Breast Cancer Prevention, Chapter 6, Springer, Switzerland, pp. 113-145, 2016.
- Rogan, E. G. and Cavalieri, E.L. Oxidative metabolism of estrogens in cancer initiation and prevention. In: Oxidative Stress: Diagnostics, Prevention, and Therapy, ACS Symposium Series, ACS Books, Washington, DC, 2: 35-51, 2015.
- Muran, P., Muran, S., Beseler, C.L., Cavalieri, E.L., Rogan, E.G. and Zahid, M. Breast health and reducing breast cancer risk, a functional medicine approach. J. Altern. Complement. Med., 21: 321-326 (2015).
- Cavalieri, E. and Rogan, E. The molecular etiology and prevention of estrogen-initiated cancers. Mol. Aspects Med., 36: 1-55 (2014).
- Zahid, M., Beseler, C.L., Hall, J.B., LeVan, T., Cavalieri, E.L. and Rogan, E.G. Unbalanced estrogen metabolism in ovarian cancer. Int. J. Cancer, 134: 2414-2423 (2014).
- Zahid, M., Goldner, W., Beseler, C.L., Rogan, E.G. and Cavalieri, E.L. Unbalanced estrogen metabolism in thyroid cancer. Int. J. Cancer, 133: 2642-2649 (2013).
- Cavalieri, E.L. and Rogan, E.G. The etiology and prevention of breast cancer. Drug Discov. Today: Dis. Mech. 9: e55-e69 (2012).
- Pruthi, S., Yang, L., Sandhu, N.P., Ingle, J.N., Beseler, C.L., Suman, V.J., Cavalieri, E.L. and Rogan, E.G. Evaluation of serum estrogen-DNA adducts as potential biomarkers for breast cancer risk. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 132: 73-79 (2012).
- Cavalieri, E., Saeed, M., Zahid, M., Cassada, D., Snow, D., Miljkovic, M. and Rogan, E. Mechanism of DNA depurination by carcinogens in relation to cancer initiation. IUBMB Life, 64: 169-179 (2012).
- Hinrichs, B., Zahid, M., Saeed, M., Ali, M.F., Cavalieri, E.L. and Rogan, E.G. Formation of diethylstilbestrol-DNA adducts in human breast epithelial cells and inhibition by resveratrol. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biology, 127: 276-281 (2011).
- Zahid, M., Saeed, M., Yang, L., Beseler, C., Rogan, E. and Cavalieri, E. Formation of dopamine quinone-DNA adducts and their potential role in the etiology of Parkinson’s disease. IUBMB Life, 63: 1087-1093 (2011).
- Gaikwad, N., Murman, D., Beseler, C., Zahid, M., Rogan, E. and Cavalieri, E. Imbalanced estrogen metabolism in the brain: Its relevance to the etiology of Parkinson’s disease. Biomarkers, 16: 434-444 (2011).
- Cavalieri, E. and Rogan, E. Unbalanced metabolism of endogenous estrogens in the etiology and prevention of human cancer. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol., 125: 169-180 (2011).
- M. Zahid, M. Saeed, C. Beseler, E.G. Rogan and E.L. Cavalieri. Resveratrol and N-acetylcysteine block the cancer-initiating step in MCF-10F cells. Free Radic. Biol. Med., 50: 78-85 (2011).
- M. Zahid, M. Saeed, M.F. Ali, E.G. Rogan, and E.L. Cavalieri. N-acetylcysteine blocks formation of cancer-initiating estrogen-DNA adducts in cells. Free Radic. Biol. Med., 49: 392-400 (2010). PMCID: PMC2900421
- E.L. Cavalieri and E.G. Rogan. The etiology and prevention of breast and other human cancers. Future Oncology, 6: 75-91 (2010).
- L. Yang, N. Gaikwad, J. Meza, E. Cavalieri, P. Muti, B. Trock and E. Rogan. Novel biomarkers for risk of prostate cancer. Results from a case-control study. Prostate, 69: 41-48 (2009). PMCID2588647
- M. Saeed, E. Rogan and E. Cavalieri. Mechanism of metabolic activation and DNA adduct formation by the human carcinogen diethylstilbestrol: The defining link to natural estrogens. Int. J. Cancer, 124: 1276-1284 (2009). PMCID2814601
- M. Zahid, N.W. Gaikwad, M.F. Ali, F. Lu, M. Saeed, L. Yang, E.G. Rogan and E.L. Cavalieri. Prevention of estrogen-DNA adduct formation in MCF-10F cells by resveratrol. Free Radic. Biol. Med., 45: 136-145 (2008). PMCID2494714
- D. Venugopal, M. Zahid, P.C. Mailander, J.L. Meza, E.G. Rogan, E.L. Cavalieri and D. Chakravarti. Reduction of estrogen-induced transformation of mouse mammary epithelial cells by N-acetylcysteine. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol., 109: 22-30 (2008). PMCID2722841
- N.W. Gaikwad, L. Yang, M. Zahid, S. Pruthi, J. Ingle, P. Muti, J. Meza, E.G. Rogan and E.L. Cavalieri. The molecular etiology of breast cancer: Evidence from biomarkers of risk. Int. J. Cancer, 122: 1949-1957 (2008).
- N.W. Gaikwad, L Yang, S. Pruthi, J.N. Ingle, N. Sandhu, E. Rogan and E. Cavalieri. Urine biomarkers of risk in the molecular etiology of breast cancer. Breast Cancer: Basic & Clinical Research, 3: 1-8 (2008).
- F. Lu, M. Zahid, C. Wang, M. Saeed, E.L. Cavalieri and E.G. Rogan. Resveratrol prevents estrogen-DNA adduct formation and neoplastic transformation in MCF-10F cells. Cancer Prev. Res., 1: 135-145 (2008).
- M. Zahid, N. Gaikwad, E.G. Rogan and E.L. Cavalieri. Inhibition of depurinating estrogen-DNA adducts formation by natural compounds. Chem. Res. Toxicol., 20: 1947-1953 (2007).
- Y. Markushin, N. Gaikwad, H. Zhang, E. Rogan, E. Cavalieri, B. Trock, C. Pavlovich, and R. Jankowiak. Potential biomarker for early risk assessment of prostate cancer, Prostate, 66: 1565-1571 (2006).E.G. Rogan, A.F. Badawi, P.D. Devanesan, J.L. Meza, J.A. Edney, W.W. West, S.M. Higginbotham, and E.L. Cavalieri. Relative imbalances in estrogen metabolism and conjugation in breast tissue of women with carcinoma: Potential biomarkers of susceptibility to cancer. Carcinogenesis, 24: 697-702 (2003).
- D. Chakravarti, P. Mailander, K.-M. Li, S. Higginbotham, H. Zhang, M.L. Gross, E. Cavalieri, and E. Rogan. Evidence that a burst of DNA depurination in SENCAR mouse skin induces error-prone repair and form mutations in the H-ras gene. Oncogene, 20: 7945-7953 (2001).
American Public Health Association