Co-Course Director, Isolation, Simulation & Quarantine Training
Global Center for Health Security
Department of Environmental, Agricultural and Occupational Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2017-present, Program Coordinator, Global Center for Health Security
- 2019-present, Co-Course Director, National Disaster Medical System Isolation, Simulation, and Quarantine Training, Global Center for Health Security
- 2015-2017, Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Environmental, Agricultural and Occupational Health
- 2018, PhD Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2017, Certificate in Emergency Preparedness, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2016, MPH Environmental, Agricultural and Occupational Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2013, BA Global Studies, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Jocelyn Herstein, PhD, MPH serves as the Program Coordinator for the Global Center for Health Security and Co-Course Director for the National Disaster Medical System’s Isolation, Simulation and Quarantine Training at UNMC. Her areas of research include highly hazardous communicable diseases and infection control, with focus on U.S. national preparedness infrastructure, transportation of patients with highly hazardous communicable diseases, and training and education.
Jocelyn’s research includes exposure assessment and developing and validating protocols for occupational health and safety in a high-level isolation setting. Jocelyn has been involved in the planning and evaluation of multiple international and national highly hazardous communicable disease transport and biocontainment patient care exercises, coordinated and trained ground transport teams on highly hazardous communicable disease transport, and co-led an initiative with the Department of Defense to optimize high-level isolation systems.
Previously, Jocelyn worked as a graduate assistant for the Nebraska Biocontainment Unit during the 2014-2016 Ebola virus disease epidemic and led a national assessment to inventory capabilities, capacity, and best practices of the US hospitals designated as Ebola treatment centers. Jocelyn is a trainer for the Biosafety and Infectious Disease Initiative (BIDTI), a NIEHS-funded consortium that provides health, infection control, and safety training related to highly infectious diseases to workers in various industries at a greater risk of occupational exposures.
- Herstein, J.J, Biddinger, P.D., Kraft, C., Saiman, Lisa, Gibbs, S.G., Le, A.B., Smith, P.W., Hewlett, A., Lowe, J.J. 2016. Current Capabilities and Capacity of Ebola Treatment Centers in the United States. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016 Mar;37(3):313-318. doi: 10.1017/ice.2015.300.
- Herstein, J.J., Biddinger, P.D., Kraft, C., Saiman, L., Gibbs, S.G., Smith, P.S., Hewlett, A., Lowe, J.J. Initial Costs Incurred by Ebola Treatment Centers in the United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016 Feb;22(2):350-2. doi: 10.3201/eid2202.151431
- Herstein, J.J., Biddinger, P.D., Gibbs, S.G., Le, A.B., Jelden, K.C., Hewlett, A., Lowe, J.J. 2017. Sustainability of High-Level Isolation Capabilities among U.S. Ebola Treatment Centers. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017 Jun;23(6):965-967. doi: 10.3201/eid2306.170062.
- Le AB, Witter L, Herstein JJ, Jelden KC, Beam E, Gibbs SG, Lowe JJ. A Gap Analysis of the United States Death Care Sector to Determine Training and Education Needs Pertaining to Highly Infectious Disease Mitigation and Management. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2017 Sep;14(9):674-680. doi:10.1080/15459624.2017.1319570
- Herstein, J.J., Biddinger, P.D., Gibbs, S.G., Le, A.B., Jelden, K.C., Hewlett, A.L., Lowe, J.J. High-Level Isolation Unit Infection Control Procedures. Health Secur. 2017 Sept/Oct; 15(5): 519-526. doi: 10.1089/hs.2017.0026.
- Herstein, J.J., Springer, J., Anzalone, J., Medcalf, S., Lowe, J.J. A Needs Assessment of Infection Control Training for American Red Cross Personnel Working in Shelters. Am J InfectControl, 2018 Apr;46(4):471-473. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2017.09.018
- Herstein, J.J., Biddinger, P.D., Gibbs, S.G., Le, A.B., Jelden, K.C., Hewlett, A., Lowe, J.J. 2018. U.S. State Health Department Special Pathogen Planning. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. 24(5): E28-E33. doi: 10.1097/PHH.0000000000000714
- Gibbs, S.G., Lowe, J.J., Le, A.B., Herstein, J.J., Biddinger, P.D. 2018. Ebola Virus Disease Preparations Do Not Protect the United States Against Other Infectious Outbreaks. American Journal of Public Health. 108(10):1327-1329. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2018.304667
- Herstein, J.J., Iwen P, Jelden K.C., Biddinger, P.D., Gibbs, S.G., Le, A.B., Hewlett, A.L., Lowe, J.J. U.S. High-Level Isolation Unit Clinical Laboratory Support Update. J Clin Microbiol. 2018: 56(2); e01608-17. doi:10.1128/JCM.01608-17
- Gibbs SG, Herstein JJ, Le AB, Beam EL, Cieslak TJ, Lawler JV, et al. Need for aeromedical evacuation high-level containment transport guidelines. Emerg Infect Dis. 2019 May. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid2505.181948
- American Public Health Association
- American Industrial Hygiene Association