Department of Environmental, Agricultural and Occupational Health
College of Public Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Distinguished Community Research Chair and Professor of Biomechanics
Director of the Biomechanics Research Building and the Center for Research in Human Movement Variability
University of Nebraska at Omaha
- 2014-Present Director of the Center for Research in Human Movement Variability, University of Nebraska
- 2013-Present Director of the Biomechanics Research Building, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- 2007-Present Professor, 0.25-0.10 appointment, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2007-2014 Director, Nebraska Biomechanics Core Facility, University of Nebraska
- 2005-Present Professor, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- 2002-2005 Associate Professor, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- 2000-2010 Scientific Consultant, Orthopaedic Center of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
- 1996-2002 Assistant Professor, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- 1996-2013 Director of the HPER Biomechanics Laboratory, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- 1995-1996 Corporal, Army Service
- 1991-1995 Graduate Assistant in the Biomechanics Laboratory, University of Oregon1989-1991 Graduate Assistant, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece Exercise Science B.S. 1989
- University of Nebraska at Omaha Exercise Science M.S. 1991
- University of Oregon Biomechanics Ph.D. 1995
Human Movement Variability; Biomechanics; Motor Control; Occupational Biomechanics; Ergonomics; Biomedical Engineering; Biotechnology; Bioengineering
- Wurdeman SR, Myers SA, Jacobsen AL, Stergiou N. (2013). Prosthesis preference is related to stride-to-stride fluctuations at the prosthetic ankle. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Aug;50(5):671-86.
- Hunt N, McGrath D, Stergiou N. (2014). The influence of auditory-motor coupling on fractal dynamics in human gait. Nature Scientific Reports. Aug;4:5879.
- Siu KC, Suh IH, Mukherjee M, Oleynikov D, Stergiou N. (2010). The impact of environmental noise on robot-assisted laparoscopic surgical performance. Surgery. Jan;147(1):107-13.
- Stergiou N, Ristanis S, Moraiti C, Georgoulis AD. (2007). Tibial rotation in anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)-deficient and ACL-reconstructed knees: A theoretical proposition for the development of osteoarthritis. Sports Medicine. 37(7):601-13.
- Stergiou N, Yu Y, Kyvelidou A. (2013). A perspective on human movement variability with applications in infancy motor development. Kinesiology Reviews, 2:93-102.
- Kyvelidou A, Stuberg WA, Harbourne RT, Deffeyes JE, Blanke D, Stergiou N. (2009). Development of upper body coordination during sitting in typically developing infants. Pediatric Research. May;65(5):553-8.
- Harbourne RT, Stergiou N. (2003). Nonlinear analysis of the development of sitting postural control. Developmental Psychobiology, May;42(4): 368 377.
- Stergiou N, Decker LM. (2011). Human movement variability, nonlinear dynamics, and pathology: Is there a connection? Human Movement Science. Oct;30(5):869-88.
- Harbourne RT, Stergiou N. (2009). Movement Variability and the Use of Nonlinear Tools: Principles to Guide Physical Therapy Practice. Physical Therapy. Mar;89(3):267-282.
- Stergiou N, Harbourne R, Cavanaugh J. (2006). Optimal Movement Variability: A New Theoretical Perspective for Neurologic Physical Therapy. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy. Sep;30(3):120-129.
- Cavanaugh JT, Guskiewicz KM, Stergiou N. (2005). A nonlinear dynamic approach for evaluating postural control: New directions for the management of sport-related cerebral concussion. Sports Medicine. 35(11):935-950.
- National Academy of Kinesiology
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Biomechanics
- American Society of Biomechanics,
- International Society of Biomechanics
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Society for Neuroscience
- American College of Sports Medicine
- International Society of Posture and Gait Research