Department of Environmental, Agricultural & Occupational Health
College of Public Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2013-Present Professor, Department of Environmental, Agricultural, and Occupational Health, UNMC
- 2011-Present Director, Central States Center for Agricultural Safety and Health (CS-CASH)
- 2009-2013 Associate Professor, Department of Environmental, Agricultural, and Occupational Health, UNMC
- 2003-2009 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Occupational & Environmental Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2001-2009 Deputy Director, Great Plains Center for Ag. Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2000-2001 Associate Director, Great Plains Center for Ag. Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 1994-2000 Coordinator, Great Plains Center for Agricultural Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 1991-1994 Farm Safety Consultant, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- 1987-1991 Head of Occupational Safety Department, Farmers Social Insurance Institution (MELA), Espoo, Finland
- 1985-1987 Safety Agronomist, Farmers Social Insurance Institution (MELA), Espoo, Finland
- PhD Occupational & Environmental Health, University of Iowa, 2002
- Certificate Occupational Health & Safety, University of Manitoba, 1994
- MS Agriculture, University of Helsinki, 1986
Research Interest & Projects
My research interests include the following: agricultural and occupational health and safety; intervention effectiveness research; injury epidemiology; agricultural safety engineering; health and safety training, education, and outreach; economics of occupational health and safety; and risk management.
- DeRoo LA, Rautiainen RH. A systematic review of farm safety interventions. Am J Prev Med 18 4Suppl:51-62, May 2000.
- Rautiainen RH, Reynolds SJ. Mortality and morbidity in agriculture in the United States. J Agric Saf Health 8(3):259-276, Aug. 2002.
- Rautiainen RH, Lange JL, Hodne CJ, Schneiders S, Donham KJ. Injuries in the Iowa Certified Safe Farm Study. J Agric Saf Health 10(1):51-63, Jan. 2004.
- Rautiainen RH, Ledolter J, Sprince NL, Donham KJ, Burmeister LF, Ohsfeldt R, Reynolds SJ, Phillips K, Zwerling C. Effects of premium discount on workers’ compensation claims in agriculture in Finland. Am J Ind Med 48(2):100-9, Aug 2005.
- Choi SW, Peek-Asa C, Sprince NL, Rautiainen RH, Flamme GA, Whitten PS, Zwerling C. Sleep quantity and quality as a predictor of injuries in a rural population. Am J. Emerg Med. 24(2):189-96, Mar 2006.
- Rautiainen RH, Lehtola MM, Day LM, Schonstein E, Suutarinen J, Salminen S, Verbeek J. Interventions for preventing injuries in the agricultural industry. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD006398. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD006398.pub2.
- Rautiainen RH, Ledolter J, Donham KJ, Ohsfeldt RL, Zwerling C. Risk factors for serious injury in Finnish agriculture. Am J Ind Med. 2009 May; 52(5):419-28.
- van’t Erve TJ, Rautiainen RH, Robertson LW, Luthe G. Trimethylsilyldiazomethane: A safe non-explosive, cost effective and less-toxic reagent for phenol derivation in GC applications. Environment International, 2010. Nov; 36(8):835-842.
- Rautiainen RH, Grafft LJ, Kline AK, Madsen MD, Lange JL, Donham KJ. Certified Safe Farm: Identifying and removing hazards on the farm. J Agric Saf Health 2010 Apr; 16(2):75-86.
- Vanderwal L, Rautiainen RH, Kuye R, Peek-Asa Corinne, Cook T, Ramirez M, Culp K, Donham K. Evaluation of long- and short-handled hand hoes for land preparation, developed in a participatory manner among women vegetable farmers in The Gambia. Applied Ergonomics 2011 42:749-756.
- Karttunen JP, Rautiainen RH.* Risk Factors and Prevalence of Declined Work Ability among Dairy Farmers. J Agric Saf Health 17(3): 243-25. Aug 2011.
- Karttunen JP, Rautiainen RH. Occupational Injury and Disease Incidence and Risk Factors in Finnish Agriculture Based on Five-year Insurance Records. J Agromed 18(1):50–64. Jan 2013.
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE)
- International Association for Agricultural Safety and Health (ISASH)