Professor and Assistant Dean for International Cooperation
Department of Epidemiology
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2016 - present Professor and Assistant Dean for International Cooperation, College of Public Health, UNMC
- 2012 – 2016 Professor and Chair, Department of Epidemiology, UNMC
- 2007 – 2012 Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2003 - 2007 Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI
- 1999 - 2003 Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- PhD, Epidemiology/Nutrition University of Arizona 1992
- MPH, Master of Public Health, Cairo University Medical School, Cairo, Egypt 1985
- MD, Cairo University Medical School, Cairo, Egypt 1981
Dr. Soliman has developed a multidisciplinary cancer epidemiology research program in underserved and minority populations. Over the past 20 years, he has been collaborating with faculty in Middle Eastern countries and Africa and working with U.S. minority populations to develop a program in international cancer epidemiology and migration studies. This has led to a strong research infrastructure with several centers in Cyprus, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Ghana, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya and Malawi to investigate the epidemiology of colorectal, pancreatic, hematopoietic and breast cancers. He also has conducted collaborative research with the minority-focused SEER registry in Detroit, the Michigan Cancer Consortium, the State Cancer Registry of Michigan, Michigan State University, and the Arab American Center for Social and Economic Services in Dearborn, Michigan. His research also includes access to cancer care and screening in these populations. Dr. Soliman’s previous experience as Co-PI of the NCI-R25 supported Cancer Education Program at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center from 1999 to 2003 and currently as the Principal Investigator of the NCI-R25 E supported Cancer Epidemiology in Special Populations (CEESP) for University of Michigan and University of Nebraska public health students, provides him with the experience required to educate, train, and develop the careers of public health students.
- *Akinyemiju TF, Soliman AS, Yassine M, Banerjee M, Aiello A, Schwartz K, Merajver SD. Healthcare access and mammography screening in Michigan: A multilevel cross-sectional study. Int J of Equity in Health 2012 Mar 21;11(1):16. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:22436125.
- *Campbell MCP, Curado MP, Harlow S, Soliman AS. Variation of cervical cancer incidence in Latin America and the Caribbean. Pan American Journal of Public Health 31(6):492-8, 2012. PMID: 22858816
- *Herzog CM, *Dey S, Hablas A, Khaled HM, Seifeldin IA, Ramadan M, El-Hamzawy H, Wilson ML, Soliman AS. Epidemiologic patterns of hematopoietic cancer incidence in Egypt. Annals of Oncology. 23(10):2748-55. Epub 2012. PMID: 22553197
- Nahar MS, Soliman AS, Colacino JA, Calafat AM, *Battige K, Hablas A, Seifeldin IA, Dolinoy DC, Rozek LS. Urinary bisphenol A concentrations in premenstrual females from rural and urban Egypt: A pilot study. Environ Health. 2012 Apr 2;11(1):20. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 2247208.
- *Moussawi AH, Yassine M, Dey S, Soliman AS. Clinical profile, quality of care, and recurrence in Arab-American and Caucasians prostate cancer patients in Michigan. Submitted to Journal of Immigrants and Minority Health. 2012 Jul 5. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22763459.
- *Veruttipong D, Soliman AS, *Gilbert SF, *Blachley TS, Hablas A, Ramadan M, Rozek LS, Seifeldin IA. Colorectal cancer in the Egyptian population-based cancer registry: A focus on age distribution, polyps, and proportion of rectal cancer. World Journal of Gastroenterology 14;18(30):3997-4003, 2012. PMID: 22912550
- *O’Brien KS, Soliman AS, Annan K, Lartey RN, Awuah B, Merajver SD. Traditional healers and cancer care in Kumasi, Ghana. J of Cancer Educ (In Press). 2012 Jun;27(3):573-9. doi: 10.1007/s13187-012-0370-z.
- *Schiefelbein E, Zekri AR, Newton DW, Soliman GA, Banerjee M, *Hung ChW, Seifeldin IA, *Lo AC, Soliman AS. Hepatitis C virus and other risk factors in hepatocellular carcinoma. Acta Virol. 2012;56(3):235-40.
- Soliman AS, Kleer CG, Mrad K, Karkouri M, Omar S, Khaled HM, Benider AL, Ayed FB, Eissa SS, Eissa MS, *McSpadden EJ, *Lo AC, Toy K, *Kantor ED, *Xiao Q, *Hampton C, Merajver SD. Inflammatory breast cancer in North Africa: Comparison of clinical and molecular epidemiologic characteristics of patients from Egypt, Tunisia, and Morocco. Breast Dis. 2012 Sep 21. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23001584
- *Schlichting JA, Soliman AS, Schairer C, Schottenfeld D, Merajver SD. Inflammatory and non-inflammatory breast cancer survival by socioeconomic position in the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results database, 1990-2008. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 134(3):1257-68. Epub 2012 PMID: 22733221 [PubMed - in process]
* Student mentored by Dr. Soliman
- American Association for Cancer Education
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Association for Preventive Oncology
- American Public Health Association
- African Organization for Cancer Training and Research