Department of Epidemiology
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2016 - present, Associate Professor, Epidemiology, College of Public Health University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha NE
- 2016 - present, Adjunct Research Scientist, Gretchen Swanson Center for Nutrition, Omaha NE
- 2009-2015, Assistant Professor, Human Nutrition Foods & Exercise, Virginia Tech
- 2007-2009, Instructor, Human Nutrition Foods & Exercise, Virginia Tech
- 2005-2007, Senior Project Manager, Clinical Research Unit, Kaiser Permanente Colorado
- 2003-2005, Research Coordinator, Senior Programs, Kaiser Permanente Colorado
- 2000-2003, Research Associate, Community Health Institute, Kansas State University
- 1999-2000, Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Kinesiology, Kansas State University
- 2009, PhD, Health & Behavioral Sciences, University of Colorado Denver
- 2000, M.S., Kinesiology, Kansas State University
- 1998, B.S., Exercise Science/Psychology, University of Nebraska Kearney
- Community-based participatory research (CBPR) and mixed-methods approaches
- Built environment assessment and influence of built environment on behavior
- Physical activity behavior, interventions and physical activity measurement
- Health equity and social determinants of health
- Hill JL, Waters CN, Kolivras KN, Estabrooks PA, Zoellner JM (in press). Do the features, amenities and quality of physical activity resources differ between city and county areas of a large health disparate region? Fam & Comm. Health.
- Hill JL, Wilson K, Harden S, Almeida F, Linnan L, Estabrooks PA. (2016). Does worksite social capital enhance retention into a worksite weight-loss programme? Obesity Science & Practice, 2:69–74. doi: 10.1002/osp4.31.
- Hill JL, Olive NC, Waters CN, Estabrooks PA, You W, Zoellner JM. (2015). Lack of Healthy Food Options on Children’s Menus of Restaurants in the Health-Disparate Dan River Region of Virginia and North Carolina, 2013. Prev Chronic Dis;12:140400. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd12.140400.
- Davy B, Bailey A, Chau C, Zoellner J, Hill, JL. (2015). Drink Water Instead of Sugary Drinks: A Dietary Strategy for Economically-disadvantaged Individuals Diagnosed with Obesity-related Comorbidities?, J Nutr Edu Behav, May-Jun;47(3):196-205. Epub 2015 Feb 9.
- Grier K, Hill JL, Zoellner JM. (2015). Feasibility of an Experiential Community Garden and Nutrition Program for Youth Living in Public Housing. Public Health Nutr, Oct 23;18(15):2759-69. Epub 2015 Feb 23.
- Hill JL, You W, Zoellner JM. (2014). Disparities in obesity among rural and urban residents in a health disparate region. BMC Public Health, 14:1051. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-1051.
- Chau CN, Zoellner JM, Hill JL (2013). A picture of the food environment in a rural, health disparate region. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition; 8:22-38.
- Zoellner J, Motley M, Wilkinson M, Jackman B, Barlow ML, Hill J. (2012). Engaging the Dan River Region to Reduce Obesity: Application of the Comprehensive Participatory Planning and Evaluation Process. Family and Community Health; 35(1)44-56.
- Hill JL, Chau CN, Luebbering CR, Kolivras KK, Zoellner JM. (2012) Does availability of physical activity and food outlets differ by race and income? Findings from an enumeration study in a rural health disparate region. International Journal of Behavioral Physical Activity and Nutrition. 9(1) doi:10.1186/1479-5868-9-105.
- Zoellner J, Hill J, Zynda K, Sample A, Yadrick K. (2012). Environmental perceptions and objective walking trail audits inform a community-based participatory research walking intervention. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity; 9(6).
- Society of Behavioral Medicine
- International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity