Director of Graduate Program,
Director & PI PCORI Lung Cancer Study
Department of Epidemiology
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2015-present, Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
- 2007-2015, Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
- Aug 1998 to Jan 2005, PhD, Epidemiology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- Aug 1994 to Dec 1996, MPH, International Health/Epidemiology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- Jan 1984 to May 1990, MBBS/MD, Medicine, Dhaka University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Professional Interests or Research interests
- My research expertise is in infectious diseases and patient-centered outcomes that utilizes my education, training, and experience in epidemiology and medicine. My funding is centered on tuberculosis (TB) and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) [infectious disease] and patient-centered outcomes research in cancers, especially lung cancer.
- Global Infectious Disease Epidemiology including disease progression and outcome evaluation among immune-compromised populations; specific focus on MDR-TB, malaria, Diarrheal diseases, and hepatitis.
- Epidemiology of Colorectal Cancer: Research focuses on incidence, prevalence and survival; identify disparity among race, gender and geographical location in access and quality of care among older and minority populations.
- Program Evaluation: Research systematic approach for program evaluation and identify innovative methods for program monitoring and evaluation in the field of epidemiology.
- Health Care Quality Improvement: Experienced in health care quality improvement projects.
- I am particularly interested in early detection and diagnosis, treatment, and outcomes of disease, especially infectious diseases and cancers. The overarching objective of my research is to target that which ultimately will help to prevent further transmission of disease and lead to better treatment outcomes, particularly among resource-limited populations and sub-population groups.
- Islam, K. M., Jiang, X., Anggondowati, T., Lin, G., & Ganti, A. K. (2015). Comorbidity and Survival in Lung Cancer Patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; 24 (7): 1079-85. doi 10.1158/1055-9965. EPI-15-0036.
- Islam, K. M., Opoku, S., Apenteng, B., Fetrick, A., Ryan, J., Copur, M., . . . Ganti, A. (2015). Coping With an Advanced Stage Lung Cancer Diagnosis: Patients, Caregivers, and Providers Perspectives. J Cancer Educ. 2015 Apr 23. PMID 25900672.
- Islam, K. M., Wen, J., Jiang, X., Ryan, J., Fetrick, A. & Ganti, A. (2014). Developing a Web-Based, Patient-Centered Data Collection and Management Approach for a Multi-Center Lung Cancer Study. J of Integr Oncol, 3.121. doi:10.4172/2329-6771.1000121.
- Islam, K. M., & Araz, O. M. (2014). Evaluating the Effectiveness of Targeted Public Health Control Strategies for Chlamydia Transmission in Omaha, Nebraska: A Mathematical Modeling Approach. Advances in Infectious Diseases, 4(3), 142-151. doi: 10.4236/aid.2014.43021
- Islam, K. M., Opoku, S. T., Apenteng, B. A., Fetrick, A., Ryan, J., Copur, M., . . . Ganti, A. K. (2014). Engaging Patients and Caregivers in Patient-Centered Outcomes Research on Advanced Stage Lung Cancer: Insights from Patients, Caregivers, and Providers. J Cancer Educ. doi: 10.1007/s13187-014-0657-3
- American Public health Association (APHA)