Department of Epidemiology
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2015 - Present, Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology, UNMC COPH
- 2015 - Present, Staff Physician, Children’s Hospital of Omaha
- 2015 - Present, Medical Co-Director, Nebraska Biocontainment Unit, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2018 - Present, Medical Director, Nebraska Quarantine Unit
- 2010 – 2013, Chief Consultant to Army Surgeon General
- 2006 – 2010, Defense Department Liaison Officer, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta GA
- 2001 – 2006, Chairman, San Antonio Military Pediatric Center, San Antonio TX
- 2018, MPH, Leadership and Epidemiology, University of North Carolina
- 1992, Fellowship, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- 1991, Certificate, Tropical Medicine, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research
- 1985, Residency, Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine
- 1982, MD, The Ohio State University
- 1979, BS, Chemistry, The Ohio State University
- Bioterrorism & Biowarfare Defense
- Disaster Preparedness
- Isolation & Quarantine
- Cieslak TJ, Kortepeter A brief history of biocontainment. Ebola Virus Disease: Issues in Preparedness and Clinical Care. Current Treatment Options in Infectious Diseases 2016;8:251-8.
- Kortepeter MG, Kwon EH, Hewlett AL, Smith PW, Cieslak TJ. Containment care units for managing patients with highly hazardous infectious diseases: a concept whose time has come. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2016;214(suppl 3):S137-41.
- Cieslak TJ, Herstein JJ, Kortepeter MG. Communicable Diseases and Emerging Pathogens: The Past, Present, and Future of High-Level Containment Care. In: Preparing for Bioemergencies: A Guide for Healthcare Facilities [Chapter 1]; Hewlett A, Murthy ARK, eds. Springer, New York, 2018.
- Cieslak TJ, Kortepeter MG, Wojtyk RJ, Jansen HJ, Reyes RA, Smith JO, and the NATO Biomedical Advisory Panel. Beyond the Dirty Dozen: A Matrix Methodology for Assessing Future Bioweapon Threats. Military Medicine 2018;183:e59-e65.