Department of Epidemiology
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
Facility for Mutation and Methylation Analysis
- 1992-1994 Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Biochemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 1994-1998 Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Arizona Respiratory Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 1998-2006 Associate Research Scientist, Arizona Respiratory Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 2000-2002 Epidemiology Certification, School of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 2005 Visiting Scientist, National Institutes of Environmental Health, Durham, NC
- 2000-2006 Research Assistant Professor, Dept. of Internal Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 2006-present Assistant Professor, Dept. of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary, Univ. of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2006-present Staff Scientist, Omaha Veterans Administration Medical Center, Nebraska
- 2007-present Assistant Professor, Dept. of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, Univ. of Nebraska
- 2007-present Faculty, University of Nebraska Graduate College, Univ. of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2007-present Director, Facility for Mutation and Methylation Analysis, Univ. of Nebraska Medical Center
- BS Muhlenberg College, Allentown, PA, 1982
- PhD University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 1992
Research Interests & Projects
Genomic Medicine, Genetic Epidemiology. Gene by environment interactions in COPD and Asthma. Functional genomic studies. Genetic and epigenetic influences of pathogen colonization in the lung.
- LeVan, TD., JW. Bloom, TJ. Bailey, CL. Karp, M. Halonen, FD. Martinez, D. Vercelli. 2001. A Common Single Nucleotide Polymorphism in the CD14 Promoter Alters Sp Protein Binding and Enhances Transcriptional Activity, Journal of Immunology 167 (10) 5838-5844.
- LeVan, TD., O. Michel, D. Stern, M. Dentener, J. Thorn, D. Gnat, L. Beijer, P. Cochaux, PG. Holt, FD Martinez, R. Rylander. 2003. Systemic Responsiveness to Lipopolysaccharide and Polymorphisms in the Toll-Like Receptor 4 Gene in Humans, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 112:923-929.
- Guerra, S., TD. LeVan, IC. Lohman, FD. Martinez, AL. Wright, M. Halonen. 2004. The Differential Effect of Genetic Variation on Soluble CD14 Levels in Human Plasma and Milk. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, 52: 204-211.
- LeVan, TD, S. Von Essen, DJ. Romberger, P. Lambert, FD. Martinez, M. Vasquez, JA. Merchant. 2005. Polymorphisms in the CD14 Gene Associated with Pulmonary Function in Farmers. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 171: 773-779.
- LeVan, TD., S. Guerra, M. Vasquez, I. Lohman, FD. Martinez, M. Halonen, A. Wright. 2006. The Impact of CD14 Polymorphisms on the Development of Soluble CD14 Levels during Infancy, Genes and Immunity 7(1) 77-80.
- LeVan, TD., WP. Koh, HP. Lee, D. Koh, MC. Yu, SJ. London. 2006. Vapor, Dust and Smoke Exposure in Relation to Adult-Onset Asthma and Chronic Respiratory Symptoms: The Singapore Chinese Health Study. American Journal of Epidemiology, 163(12) 1118-28.
- Poole, JA, TD. LeVan, RE. Slager, F. Qiu, L. Severa, J. Yelinek, ML. Carlson, J. Bush, N. Bolin, T. Wyatt, D. Romberger, SG. Von Essen. 2007. Bronchodilator Responsiveness in Swine Veterinarians, J. Agromedicine, 12 (2) 49-54.
- LeVan, TD., O. Michel, J. Thorn, PG. Holt, F. Martinez. 2008. Association between CD14 Polymorphisms and Serum Soluble CD14 Levels: Effect of Atopy and Endotoxin Inhalation. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 121 (2) 434-440.
- Slager, R, TD. LeVan, JA. Poole, J. Hoppin. 2009. Occupational Rhinitis is Associated with Pesticide Exposure Among Commercial Pesticide Applicators: Agricultural Health Study. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 66:718-724.
- WS. Goldner, DP. Sandler, F. Yu, JA. Hoppin, F. Kamel and TD. LeVan. 2010. Pesticide Use and Thyroid Disease among Women in the Agricultural Health Study. In Press, American Journal of Epidemiology, 8 Jan.
Mikuls TR, Gould KA, Bynote KK, Yu F, LeVan TD, Thiele GM, Michaud KD, O'Dell JR, Reimold AM, Hooker R, Caplan L, Johnson DS, Kerr G, Richards JS, Criswell LA, Gregersen PK, Cannon GW. 2010. GSTM1-null genotype, HLA-DRB1 shared epitope, and smoking interactions suggest a role for oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of anti-citrullinated protein antibody (ACPA) positive rheumatoid arthritis. In Revision, American Journal of Rheumatism.
- RE. Slager, TD. LeVan, JA. Poole, DP. Sandler, JA. Hoppin. 2010. Occupational Risk Factors for Rhinitis Among Farmers in the Agricultural Health Study. In revision, Scand J Work Health Env
- T. Mikuls, TD. LeVan, K. Gould, K. Michaud, G. Thiele, J. O'Dell, A. Cannella, A. Reimold, R. Hooker, L. Caplan, D. Johnson, G. Cannon, G. Kerr, J.S. Richards. 2010. The Association of Cigarette Smoking with Disease Expression in U.S. Veterans with Rheumatoid Arthritis. In Revision, Arthritis and Rheumatism.
- American Thoracic Society
- International Endotoxin Society
- American Association of Immunologists
- American Society of Human Genetics
- American Society of Microbiology