Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research
College of Public Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2015, Master of Science Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
- 1997, Bachelor of Science Degree in Community Health Nutrition, Coordinated Nutrition Program Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist – Commission on Dietetic Registration
Work and Research Experience
- University of Nebraska Medical Center Omaha, NE
- Graduate Assistantship - Community Nutrition Intervention Research
- University of Arizona Tucson, AZ
- Assisted in the Community Health Advancement Partnerships (CHAPS) initiative promoting healthy communities in the state of Arizona. The CHAPS program is a collaboration of the University of Arizona and Cooperative Extension Offices with community stakeholders to develop strategies for improving health through nutrition and physical activity interventions.
- Co-author bone health education materials and assist in osteoporosis research utilizing Dual X-Ray Absorptiometry (DEXA).
- Assisted in cancer research conducting bioelectrical impedance analysis on participants
- Develop and facilitate nutrition workshops, meetings, conferences, educational materials, written communications and promotional literature.
- Interviewed and provided nutrition information for local newspaper articles and television news segments.
- Provide Nutrition Education presentations for various groups including Sports Nutrition, Eating Disorders, Diabetes, Osteoporosis and other chronic diseases.
- Manage development, content, revision and maintenance of the Nutrition, Health and Wellness website.
- Community Nutrition Specialist/Registered Dietitian - Pima County Health Dept., Tucson, AZ
- Gather and assess the health history, nutritional status and eligibility of each client.
- Obtain and interpret anthropometric, biochemical, clinical/diagnosis, dietary, socioeconomic and behavioral data.
- Educate clients on nutrition principles, therapeutic diets, diet regimens, nutrient-drug interactions, appropriate food preparation methods, vitamin/mineral supplements and menu planning/selection.
- Nutritionist/Registered Dietitian - Canyon Ranch Spa, Tucson, AZ
- Provide Nutritional counseling to clients specializing in nutrition education and disease management including chronic disease, weight management, eating disorders and health & wellness. Created individual meal plans and recipes.
- Develop and present nutritional lectures and written nutrition education materials to individuals and groups.
- Create and implement various nutrition education materials for the Nutrition and Health and Wellness Departments.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) - Private Nutrition Consultant
- Provide nutritional counseling to clients and groups on an array of health conditions where nutrition plays a role, maximizing health and wellness.
- Develop and implement meal plans and strategies for individuals including recipes based on activity, health status, nutritional needs and capabilities.
- Published nutrition and health articles as the Omaha Nutrition Examiner at Examiner.com.
- Publish and maintain nutrition information on Ask A Dietitian by Sarah Hortman, RD page on Facebook and Twitter.
- Volunteer, Nutrition Intern at Camp LIWIDIA (Living with Diabetes)
- Monitored glucose levels and nutrition intake of children aged 7-17 at a summer camp for kids who have diabetes.
- Community Health and Wellness
- Obesity and Chronic Disease Prevention
- Built Environment
- Food Insecurity
- Local Food Systems