Department of Health Promotion, Social and Behavioral Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 1997-present, Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine
- 1990-1997 Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine
- 2008-present Director of Underserved Health Care and Preventive Medicine Enhanced Medical Education Tracks (EMET)
- 2010-2012 ICE Senior Seminars Co-Director
- 2006-present MD/MPH Dual Degree Program Director
- 1998-2007 M2 Integrated Clinical Experience Director
- 2007-2015 Associate Professor (courtesy appointment), Department of Health Promotion, Social, & Behavioral Health Sciences
- 1997-2007 Assistant Professor (courtesy appointment), Department of Health Promotion, Social, & Behavioral Health Sciences
- 1990-1997 Assistant Professor (courtesy appointment), Department of Preventive and Societal Medicine
- 1993-1996 Director M1 and M2 Problem-Based Learning Curriculum
- 1991-Present Graduate Faculty
- 1989-1990 Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Family Practice, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
- 1986-1988 Assistant Professor, Director of Undergraduate Section, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School
- 1983-1986 Director, Predoctoral Education, Department of Family Practice, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- 1982-1986 Assistant Professor, Department of Family Practice, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- 1990, Preventive Medicine Residency, University of California, Berkeley
- 1989, MPH, Epidemiology, University of California, Berkeley
- 1979, Family Practice Residency, Deaconess Hospital, Evansville IN
- 1976, MD, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- 1973, BS, Zoology, Eastern Illinois University
- Clinical and community-based preventive services
- Underserved health care
- Gender and sexual minority health disparities
- Medder J: Caring for Men Who Have Sex with Men. In Heidelbaugh J (ed.) Men’s Health, New York, Springer, (In process).
- Medder J: Dyslipidemia. In Paulman PM, Susman JL, Harrison JD, Paulman AA, Finkelstein KM, Zatechka RB (eds.) Family Medicine Clerkship Guide, Philadelphia, Elsevier, Inc., 2005.
- Medder J: Health Care Maintenance for Adults. In Steele DJ, Susman JL, McCurdy FA (eds.) Student Guide to Primary Care: Making the Most of Your Clinical Experience, Philadelphia, Hanley & Belfus, Inc., 2003, pp 49-56.
- Pera S, Medder J, Birk T. Development of an Online Digital Multimedia Library and Database for Medical Education, in Nicholas C. Romano, Jr. (ed.) Proceedings of the Eleventh Americas Conference on Information Systems, August 11-14, 2005, Omaha, NE, USA, Association for Information Systems, 2550-2553.
- Paulman P, Medder J. Teaching the Quality Improvement Process to Junior Medical Students: The Nebraska Experience. Fam Med 2002; 34(6):429-430.
- Steele DJ, Medder JD, Turner P. A Comparison of Learning Outcomes and Attitudes in Student- versus Faculty-led Problem-based Learning: An Experimental Study. Med Educ 2000; 34:23-29.
- McIlvain H. Crabtree B, Medder J, Stange KC, Miller WL, Dodendorf D, Aita V. Using Practice Genograms to Understand and Describe Practice Configurations. Fam Med 1998; 30(7):490-6.
- Medder J, Susman JL, Gilbert C, Crabtree, BF, McIlvain HE, McVea K, Davis, CM, Hawver, M. Dissemination and Implementation of Put Prevention into Family Practice. Am J Prev Med 1997; 13(5):345-351.
- McVea K, Crabtree BF, Medder J, Susman JL, Lukas L, McIlvain HE, Davis CM, Gilbert CS, Hawver M. An Ounce of Prevention? Evaluation of the Put Prevention into Practice Program. J Fam Prac 1996; 43(4):361-369.
- Medder J, Kahn B, Susman J. Risk Factors and Recommendations of 230 Adult Primary Care Patients Based on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Guidelines. Am J Prev Med 1992; 8(3):150-153.
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association
- American College of Preventive Medicine
- Association for Prevention Teaching and Research
- Nebraska Academy of Family Physicians
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- American Academy of Family Physicians