Professor and Chair
Department of Health Services Research & Administration
Director, Center for Health Policy Analysis and Rural Health Research
Co-Director, Nebraska Public Health Practice-Based Research Network
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2012–present Chair, Department of Health Services Research & Administration, College of Public Health, UNMC
- 2010–present Director, Center for Health Policy Analysis & Rural Health Research, UNMC
- 2012–present Professor (tenured), Department of Health Services Research & Administration, College of Public Health, UNMC
- 2015–present Member, Education Council, AcademyHealth
- 2010–2012 Interim Chair, Department of Health Services Research & Administration, College of Public Health, UNMC
- 2008–2010 Founding Director of PhD Program in Health Services Research, Administration, & Policy, College of Public Health, UNMC
- 2004–2010 Deputy Director, RUPRI Center for Rural Health Policy Analysis (funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy)
- 2005–2012 Associate Professor (tenured in 2009), Department of Health Services Research & Administration, College of Public Health, UNMC
- 1999–2005 Assistant Professor, Section on Health Services Research & Rural Health Policy, Department of Preventive & Societal Medicine, UNMC
- PhD, Health Policy & Administration, The Pennsylvania State University, 1999
- MHSA, Health Services Administration, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1993
- BPH, Public Health, National Taiwan University, 1990
Health economics, health insurance, health care access and utilization, health care cost and efficiency, cost-effectiveness analysis, public health service and system research, rural health research
- Chen, Li-Wu, Wilson FA, Gregg A, Gupta N, Bekmuratova S, Palm D (2017) Measuring the Cost and Value of Quality Improvement Initiatives for Local Health Departments. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice.
- Wang Y, Wilson, FA, Chen, Li-Wu (2017) The Association between Immigration Status and Office-Based Medical Provider Visits for Cancer Patients in the United States. Medical Care.
- Chen, Li-Wu, A. Nguyen, J. Jacobson, N. Gupta, S. Bekmuratova, and D. Palm. (2015). The Relationship between Quality Improvement Implementation and Accreditation Seeking in Local Health Departments. American Journal of Public Health, 105 Suppl 2:S295-302.
- Chen, Li-Wu, Palm D, and Trout K (2015). “Building Community Capacity to Improve Population Health through Integrating Public Health and Health Care: Lessons Learned from the Community Health Needs Assessment Conducted by Nebraska’s Rural Hospitals” Chapter 1, Capacity Building: Planning, Programs, and Prospects (edited by Diane Brown). Nova Science Publishers, ISBN: 978-1-63483-995-2
- Chen, Li-Wu, A. Nguyen, J. Jacobson, and D. Palm. (2012). Assessment of Workforce Capacity for Local Health Departments in Nebraska: A Perspective from Public Health Programmatic Areas. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice, 18(6), 595-601.
- Stimpson JP, Pagan JA, and Li-Wu Chen. (2012). Reducing Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Colorectal Cancer Screening Is Likely to Require More Than Access to Care. Health Affairs, 31(12), 2747-2754.
- Chen, Li-Wu, M. Shambaugh-Miller, J. Meza, W. Zhang, K. Shaw, and K. J. Mueller. (2009). Inpatient Hospital Service Utilization of the Uninsured in Nebraska: Policy Implications for Addressing Uncompensated Care. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 20, 444-457.
- Chen, Li-Wu, W. Zhang, J. Sun, and K. J. Mueller. (2009). The Magnitude, Variation, and Determinants of Rural Hospital Resource Utilization Associated with Hospitalizations Due to Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 15(3), 216-222.
- Chen, Li-Wu and D. Shea. (2004). The Economies of Scale for Nursing Home Care. Medical Care Research & Review, 61(1), 38-63.
- Chen, Li-Wu and D. Shea. (2002). Do Prospective Payments Really Contain Nursing Home Costs? Health Services Research, 37(2), 251-271.