What are the programs?
- Program A: People in this program will come to a 2-hour class and develop a personal action plan to prevent diabetes. People in this program can join Program B after finishing their 12-month assessment visit.
- Program B: People in this program will be put into an online group with 10-20 other participants and a health coach. There will be an online lesson to read every week for 16 weeks and then every month for the rest of the 12-month program. The lessons will be about changing your diet and exercise in order to help you prevent diabetes. The health coach will help you and others in your group with the lessons. After you complete the first 16-weeks, you will also be asked to answer questions online about whether you liked or disliked the program.
What will I be asked to do?
If you agree to be a part of this study you will be asked to:
- Come to our study center at UNMC in Omaha for 4 visits (one screening visit, a baseline visit, and two follow-up visits at 4 and 12 months)
- Complete a blood test to determine eligibility
- Sign up for an online lifestyle health program or attend a 2-hour diabetes prevention class
You may be eligible if you answer Yes to the following:
- Are you age 19 or older?
- Is your Body Mass Index (BMI) 25 or higher? Check your BMI
- Do you have regular access to the Internet?
- Are you willing to use e-mail on a weekly basis?
- Do you live in the greater Omaha area?
- Are you willing to accept ANY of the two programs described above?
Did you answer YES to ALL of the questions above?
Find out if our study is a good match for you!