Why a fellowship?
A Fellowship can be an ideal way for a recent COPH graduate to apply their new public health skills in a real-world setting, while benefiting from additional guidance and training from the fellowship program. Fellows receive payment, and often benefits similar to employee benefits, so they can also help you transition from the student life to the professional life. Fellowships vary in length, structure and size of cohort, so make sure to do your research to find the right fit.
Timing of fellowships
Most fellowships have a competitive, and sometimes lengthy, selection process so be prepared to apply for opportunities far in advance of your graduation date. For example, summer and spring graduates will face Dec-Feb deadlines for the national fellowships.
The following list includes prominent public health fellowships that COPH graduates are encouraged to look into and apply for. There are countless fellowships beyond this listing that you may be interested in. Many professional associations and research institutions offer fellowships, so examine the websites of those entities which align with your interests for potential opportunities not listed here.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Summary of all CDC Career Training Fellowships
- Summary of all CDC Master's Degree Full-Time Fellowships
- Summary of all CDC Student Internships
- CDC Summer Graduate Environmental Health Internship
- ORAU Administered CDC Internships and Fellowships (Type CDC in the Search Field)
American Public Health Association
- APHA Public Health Fellowship in Government
- APHA Internships & Fellowships
- Application deadlines for academic period (July 15, Dec 1, April 15)
- Unpaid, year round, varying lengths
Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health
- Summary of all ASPPH fellowships (Create an Account)
- Junior Commissioned Officer Student Training and Extern Program (JrCOSTEP)
- Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR)
- U.S Department of Health & Human Services’ Emerging Leaders Program (DHHS)
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education Internships & Fellowships (ORISE)
- American College of Healthcare Executives Directory (ACHE)
- Environmental Protection Agency Student Internships (EPA)
- EPA Fellowships & Scholarships (EPA)
- National Cancer Institute Fellowship Opportunities (NCI)
- Food and Drug Administration Fellowships and Internships (FDA)
- ProFellow - A comprehensive source for prestigious fellowships, including tips for applications
- Fulbright-Fogarty Fellows and Scholars in Public Health
- Center for Disease Control Public Health Informatics Fellowship (CDC)
- Fellowship and Funding Opportunities for UNMC Graduate Students
- USAJOBS Pathways Program, internships & fellowships for students and recent graduates interested in federal careers
- National Biosafety and Bio containment Program (NBBTP)