Paid vacation and professional leave, health insurance (with monthly premiums subsidized by the hospital), and on-call meal allowances are just a few of the benefits residents receive in addition to their yearly salary.
In addition, house officer salaries increase each year.
Specific information about child care services, library, parking, food and other policies is available in the house staff manual. Download the 2020-21 booklet.
House Officer Benefits:
- Twenty working days paid vacation.
- Professional leave with pay for approved meetings.
- Sick leave – six months accrual after two years employment.
- Comprehensive group health coverage.
- Low-rate automatic eligibility disability coverage available.
- Lab coats provided at university expense at the beginning of residency.
- Laundering of lab coats provided.
- $300/house officer appropriation to department for house officer education.
- Travel money for residents investigating practice locations in Nebraska.
- Reimbursement for travel to and from required training sites more than 25 miles from the Medical Center.
- Preferential eligibility for parking.
- Meal allowance while on call at the Nebraska Medical Center at the discretion of the program.
- $8.00 meal card per day provided by the Nebraska Medical Center.
- Liability coverage for moonlighting with advance approval from Program Director and Office of Graduate Medical Education.
- Tuition credit of 15 credit hours/year for employee and immediate family to UNO, UNL, UNK and UNMC
- Free workout options, Clarkson Wellness Center, Lied Exercise Room and Bellevue Medical Center (excludes Student Life Center)
- Full-time House Officer Assistance Program, Susan Smith, RN, BS, CEAP.
- Central house officer lounge with complimentary food on weekends- Room 3441-University Tower
House Officer Salaries for 2021-2022: