Medical Physics Residency; University of Florida; 2015
Ph.D. in Medical Physics; Georgia Institute of Technology; 2013
MS in Medical Physics; Georgia Institute of Technology; 2010
American Board of Radiology - Therapeutic Radiological Physics, 2016
American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
Clinical & Research Interests:
Emission guided radiation therapy, Treatment planning optimization, HDR techniques, Image guided radiation therapy
My major research interests lie in a few medical physics areas including emission guided radiation therapy, image guided radiation therapy, CBCT image reconstruction and artifacts correction, radiation measurements, and treatment planning techniques. Current projects include a systematic isocenter QA approach for linear accelerators, a novel approach to improve trigeminal nerve treatment planning, and applicator library modelling based planning for tandem and ring HDR treatment of cervical cancer
Project 1: Ultrasound SRS planning
Description: SRS is a popular treatment option for trigeminal neuralgia (TN) due to its noninvasiveness. Simulation, planning, QA, and delivery are usually accomplished in a single day. Out of this fast-paced workflow, planning remains most challenging as seeking an optimal dose distribution in a short timeframe requires a substantial level of experience. In this project, we tackle this challenge by replacing the empirically iterative process of finding appropriate beam weighting with deterministic optimization.
Project 2: Applicator library modelling based planning for tandem and ring HDR treatment of cervical cancer
Description: Tandem-and-ring applicator together with a high-dose-rate (HDR) afterloader remains one popular option to manage the cervical cancer. During the planning step, the catheter digitization is usually done manually by depicting the applicator central canal or the marker wire. However, the actual source path often does not align well with such manual digitization in the ring tube. This project aims to evaluate the dosimetric consequence of the above discrepancy by duplicating the clinical HDR plans using the applicator library modelling where the factory-measured source path is incorporated.
- Zhou, Q. Wu, X. Li, R. Ma, D. Zheng, S. Wang, M. Zhang, S. Li, Y. Lei, Q. Fan, M. Hyun, T. Diener, and C. Enke, (2017), Using weighted power mean for equivalent square estimation. J Appl Clin Med Phys, 18: 194–199.
- Q. Fan, A. Yeung, R. Amdur, R. Helmig, J. Park, J. Li, D. Kahler, C. Liu, B. Lu, "Image-guided HDR Brachytherapy in Cervix Carcinoma Using Innovative Balloon Catheter and Belt Immobilization System", Technol Cancer Res Treat. Feb 10, 2016
- B. Barraclough, J. Li, S. Lebron, Q. Fan, C. Liu, G. Yan, "Impact of the geometry dependence of the ion chamber detector response function on a convolution-based method to address the volume averaging effect", Med. Phys. 43, 2081 (2016)
- Q. Fan, B. Lu , J. Park, T. Niu , J. Li, C. Liu, L. Zhu, "Image-domain shading correction for cone-beam CT without prior patient information", JACMP 2015 (6) 65-75
- J. Park, H. Zhang, Y. Chen, Q. Fan, J. Li, C. Liu C, B. Lu, "Common-mask guided image reconstruction (c-MGIR) for enhanced four-dimensional cone-beam computed tomography", Phys. Med. Biol. 60 (2015), 9157-9183
- J. Park, H. Zhang, Y. Chen, Q. Fan, J. Li, C. Liu C, B. Lu, "Prior-mask guided image reconstruction (p-MGIR) for ultra-low dose cone-beam computed tomography", Phys. Med. Biol. 60 (2015) 8505-8524
- B. Barraclough, J. Li, S. Lebron, Q. Fan, C. Liu, G. Yan, "A novel convolution-based approach to address ionization chamber volume averaging effect in model-based treatment planning systems", Phys. Med. Biol. 60 (2015) 6213-6226J. Park, J. Li, L. Arhjoul, G. Yan, B. Lu, Q. Fan , C. Liu, “Adaptive Beamlet-based Finite-size Pencil Beam Dose Calculation for Independent Verification of IMRT and VMAT”, Med. Phys. 42, 1836 (2015)
- B. Lu, Y. Chen, J. Park, Q. Fan, D. Kahler, C. Liu, "A Method of Surface Marker Location Optimization for Tumor Motion Estimation in Lung Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy", Med. Phys. 42, 244 (2015)
- Q. Fan, A. Nanduri, J. Yang, T. Yamamoto, B. Loo, E. Graves, L. Zhu, S. Mazin, "Towards a Planning Scheme for Emission Guided Radiation Therapy (EGRT): FDG based Tumor Tracking in a Metastatic Breast Cancer Patient," Med. Phys. 40, 081708 (2013).