Ph.D. - Organic Chemistry; University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY; 1985
M.Sc. - Organic Synthesis; Polytechnical University of Wroclaw, Poland; 1977
American Chemical Society
Society of Nuclear Medicine
New York Academy of Sciences
American Association for the Advancement of Science
International Association of Radiopharmacology
Clinical & Research Interests:
Auger electron emitters in therapy and diagnosis of cancer.
Radioimmunotherapeutics and radiolabeled nucleic acid precursors for cancer therapy.
Investigational New Drugs (currently three (3) agents approved).
My laboratories’ efforts are centered on the design and discovery of novel targeted molecular radiotherapeutics with theranostic properties. These basic research and translational studies are conducted in the Department of Radiation Oncology J. Bruce Henriksen Cancer Research Laboratories located on the 10th floor of the Eppley Science Hall. I also run the Harry J. Bahr Radiolabeling Facility located on the 2nd floor of the Wittson Hall, which supports clinical studies of targeted radiopharmaceuticals, including radioimmunoconjugates, for therapy and molecular imaging.
I investigate methods to identify, characterize and noninvasively detect tumor-associated targets and then design theranostic compounds that recognize these targets. The main goal of these studies is to establish methods to deliver radiotherapeutics specifically to tumor cells while sparing normal tissues with a special focus on difficult to treat adult and pediatric tumors. One of our major accomplishment is the design and development of several theranostics for prostate cancer. The Investigational New Drug application for one of these agents recently received an approval by the US FDA. In the years past, I co-authored and my laboratories provided data for six IND applications for various radionuclide-based molecular radiotherapies.
Publications and Patents:
- Coulter DW, Boettner AD, Kortylewicz ZP, Enke SP, Luther JA, Verma V,Baranowska-Kortylewicz J. Butyrylcholinesterase as a blood biomarker in neuroblastoma. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol, 2016, in process.
- Kortylewicz ZP, Baranowska-Kortylewicz J. Radiologic agents for monitoring Alzheimer's disease progression and evaluating a response to therapy and processes for the preparation of such agents. US patent 9,315,534. http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=9,315,534&OS=9,315,534&RS=9,315,534 ; April 19, 2016.
- Kortylewicz ZP, Mack E, Enke CA, Estes KA, Mosley RL, Baranowska-Kortylewicz J. Preclinical evaluation of investigational radiopharmaceutical RISAD-P intended for use as a diagnostic and molecular radiotherapy agent for prostate cancer Prostate. 2015; 75:8-22. PMID: 25283970; http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/wol1/doi/10.1002/pros.22885/suppinfo; DOI: 10.1002/pros.22885.
- Kortylewicz ZP, Baranowska-Kortylewicz J. MIBG Analogs and Uses Thereof. Provisional Patent. UNMC docket 16029P. Sept 25, 2015.
- Baranowska-Kortylewicz J, Kortylewicz ZP. Targeted radiolabeled compounds and their use for the treatment and diagnosis of cancer. https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId= WO2011079245&recNum=73&docAn=US2010061971&queryString=FP:(androgen%20receptor)%20&maxRec=942. WO/2011/079245. PCT/US2010/061971. July 30, 2015.
- Han G, Kortylewicz ZP, Enke T, Baranowska-Kortylewicz J. Co-targeting androgen receptor and DNA for imaging and molecular radiotherapy of prostate cancer: in vitro studies. Prostate. 2014; 74:1634-46. PMID: 25214432. DOI: 10.1002/pros.22880.
- Yannam GR, Han B, Setoyama K, Yamamoto T, Ito R, Brooks JM, Guzman-Lepe J, Galambos C, Fong JV, Deutsch M, Quader MA, Yamanouchi K, Kabarriti R, Mehta K, Soto- Gutierrez A, Roy-Chowdhury J, Locker J, Abe M, Enke CA, Baranowska-Kortylewicz J, Solberg TD, Guha C, Fox IJ. A non-human primate model of human radiation-induced venocclusive liver disease and hepatocyte injury. Int J Rad Oncol Biol Phys. 2013 Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014. 88: 404-11. PMID: 24315566.
- Enke T, Han G, Abe M, Kortylewicz ZP, Baranowska-Kortylewicz J. Molecular radiation therapy in experimental model of advanced prostate cancer using internalizable monoclonal antibody. Int J Radiation Onc Biol Phys 2014: 90:S810. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.05.2337
- Baranowska-Kortylewicz J, Han G, Enke T, Mack E, Enke CE, Estes KA, Mosley RL, Kortylewicz ZP. Preclinical evaluation of an investigational radiopharmaceutical intended for use as a diagnostic and molecular radiation therapy agent for prostate cancer. Int J Radiation Onc Biol Phys 2014: 90:S87–S88. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.05.479
- Kortylewicz ZP, Kimura Y, Inoue K, Mack E, Baranowska-Kortylewicz J. Radiolabeled cyclosaligenyl monophosphates of 5-iodo-2'-deoxyuridine, 5-iodo-3'-fluoro-2',3'-dideoxyuridine, and 3'-fluorothymidine for molecular radiotherapy of cancer: Synthesis and biological evaluation. J Med Chem. 2012; 55:2649-71. PMID: 22339166; PMCID: PMC3328401; DOI: 10.1021/jm201482p
- Baranowska-Kortylewicz J. Intraperitoneal radioimmunotherapy: Auger electron emitters for solid tumors. Immunotherapy. 2011; 3:491-4. PMID: 1463190. DOI: 10.2217/imt.11.11.
- Abe M, Kortylewicz ZP, Enke CA, Baranowska-Kortylewicz J. Activation of PDGFr-β signaling pathway after imatinib and radioimmunotherapy treatment in experimental pancreatic cancer. Cancers, 2011; 3:2501-2515. PMID: 24212821. DOI: 10.3390/cancers3022501.