SHPEP Application Guide
All students who meet the Summer Health Professions Education Program eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a college freshman or sophomore at the time of application.
- Have a minimum overall college GPA of 2.5.
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or an individual granted deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Not have previously participated in the program.
- Identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in the health professions;
- Comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background; and/or
- Has demonstrated an interest in issues affecting underserved populations.
- Submits a compelling personal statement and a strong letter of recommendation.
- December 1, 2018: Application opens
- February 15, 2019: Application closes at 11:59 PM ET
- March 15, 2019: Admissions decisions released
- March 20, 2019: Program sites will begin accepting students from the waitlist
Admission is competitive, apply early!
Submit Application Materials
Applications will only be reviewed by designated program sites once the National Program Office processes the following materials in accordance with the admissions guidelines:
- The online SHPEP application, which includes one essay prompt. An AAMC account is required to access the application. Register for an AAMC account only if you do not already have one.
- One official transcript from every U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution attended sent directly by the institution’s registrar’s office. Please review the Transcript Requirements section for more information.
- One letter of recommendation from a qualified reference. Please review the Recommendation Requirements section for more information.
You can review the Application Checklist to ensure that you have completed all of the required steps to apply to SHPEP.
For more information visit www.shpep.org/apply-to-shpep/