Access for Students with Disabilities

If you are an enrolled student and have disabilities that qualify for accommodation under Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990), follow these steps to be considered for accommodation.   Each case is considered individually.  Please feel welcome to contact us with questions at any point in the process. 

While it is our goal to collaborate with you on this process, note that not all requests qualify, some may not be granted in the form requested or may not be as granted in other educational settings.  You may apply for and be granted accommodations but do not have to use them if you prefer not to.   It is often advantageous to have the process completed so that you have the option to implement them readily if needed:

  1. Make your request for accommodation well in advance of the time for which the accommodation is needed (4 – 6 weeks is recommended), so that your request can be considered and arrangements for accommodation made in a timely manner
  2. Fill out the "Request for Services" form.   You will need to log into the Campus Records site with your ID and Password, then click "On-Line Forms", then "Request for Services".   Also available in Printable Form which you can scan and email or make an appointment to deliver in person to the Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities.
  3. You will need to provide official documentation of your disability from a physician, psychologist, physical therapist or other qualified care provider.  This is the University of Nebraska Documentation policy and here are guidelines on the kind of information your care provider will need to supply.  Attached is a form your provider can complete You may deliver or send them to the Coordinator yourself or have your care provider send them directly.
  4. Once your accommodation plan has been approved, you will receive an approval letter verifying and outlining your eligibility for accommodations.  You are responsible for notifying your instructors and confirming classroom accommodation arrangements with them. Faculty will not be expected to provide accommodation without prior approval.
  5. For more information regarding the student disability policy refer to UNMC Student Accommodation Policy.

If you have any questions about accommodations, please contact Kelly Swoboda by email or 402-559-7276.