Student Health Insurance

In addition to the Student Health Clinic, which provides outpatient services for students through payment of Fund B, the University has contracted with the United Healthcare Student Insurance Company to provide accident/illness insurance coverage.   The plan also provides for outpatient surgery, dental and prescription coverage.

Participation and Cost

Full-time students:

Undergraduate/professional students who are enrolled full-time (12 or more hours), Graduate students (9 or more hours) and Graduate Nursing students (6 or more hours) are required to have inpatient (hospitalization) health insurance.  Students may participate in the University-sponsored plan thru the United Healthcare Company, or they may have their own plan through a parent, spouse, employer, or self.  The cost of the United Healthcare Student Insurance Plan is automatically billed each fall and spring semester on the full-time student’s tuition statement/bill.   Therefore, if students do not wish to participate in the University plan through the UNMC United Student Plan, they must file a Waiver verifying alternate insurance.  The waiver can be completed electronically on the students’ UNMC MyRecords system (NU Dashboard) -- on the home page.   The cost of the United Healthcare Student Insurance Plan for each School Year is automatically billed each fall and spring semester on the full-time student’s tuition statement.  

Students may refer to this link for the cost of the insurance per semester, as well as the coverage effective date, based on their program:

NOTE:  Waivers can be completed approximately 14 days before the start of the semester’s classes but MUST BE FILED by the deadline of 14 days following the first day of classes.

Part-time students:

Students who are enrolled part-time may also enroll for the particular semester in the United Insurance Program by enrolling on the Ascension Insurance Company website and must do so within the first two weeks of each semester.    Their website is:

In order to participate in the United Student Insurance program, part-time students must also pay Fund B, which entitles the student to use the outpatient health facilities (Student Health Clinic), located on the Third Level of the Durham Outpatient Center.  It is the responsibility of the part-time student to make arrangements each semester with the UNMC Student Accounts Office in order to be billed for both the student health insurance and Fund B.  Their office is located in the Student Life Center building, 2nd floor; or via email.


The University of Nebraska Medical Center also offers inpatient (hospitalization) insurance (which includes dental and prescription coverage within the Plan) to dependents of students thru United.  If a student is interested in purchasing a major medical policy for their dependent(s), they may go to the Ascension Insurance Company website to enroll at the beginning of each fall and spring semester.   Please contact Patricia Oberlander at 402-559-7276 with any questions.

The University does offer Student Health Clinic privileges (Fund B) to a student’s dependents.  Students may purchase these Clinic privileges for their dependents through the UNMC Student Accounts Office via email.    

Please Note:   Fund B is NOT an insurance plan.

How to file a claim

Claim forms are available under each student’s own account on the United Healthcare website.