Update Your Personal Information

Current students can update personal information like email addresses, phone numbers and home addresses in the Profile section of MyRecords.

Changing Your Name and Social Security Number

You will need to complete the Name Change Request Form and include one of the following supporting documents in order to have your name or social security number changed:

*Required for changing Social Security number

To submit changes in person:

Bring completed form and one of the accepted forms of identification listed above to Academic Records Office, Williams Science Hall, 2nd Floor, Room 20.0.016.

To submit via fax:

Fax required information to 402.559.6796.
(Faxes accepted only from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST, Monday-Friday)

To submit via email:

Email required information to studentservices@unmc.edu.

To submit via mail:

Mail documentation to:
UNMC-Academic Records
Williams Science Hall-Room 20.0.016
984230 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-4230

Changing Your UNMC NetID and Email

If you've had a name change, we would highly encourage you to update your UNMC NetID by emailing ITS System Access. Your request will be processed after ITS verifies your name change has been processed. Submitting a name change does NOT automatically change your NetID/email. You must initiate the NetID name change request separately.

Click here for more information about changing your NetID and email.

Preferred/Chosen Name

Students are required to provide their full legal name at the time of admission. However, they should be able to indicate how they would like to be addressed within the campus community regardless of their legal name.  Therefore, as long as the use of an individual’s “preferred/chosen name” is not for the purposes of misrepresentation or falsification, it will be accommodated for campus use and documents except where the use of the individual’s legal name is required for university business or legal need. The legal name will still be required and used for all official, external communication.

Students will be able to designate a preferred/chosen name within MyRecords. No legal documentation is required to make a change to a preferred/chosen name.

Preferred/Chosen Name will appear:

Legal Name will appear:

Development to accommodate use of a preferred/chosen name in University systems is ongoing.  Not all University information systems, databases and processes may be able to display a preferred/chosen name and many uses of a student’s name require display of the legal name; therefore, individuals who utilize a preferred/chosen name should always be prepared to reference their legal name and provide corresponding identification when necessary.  A preferred/chosen name designation is not a legal name change.


Changing Chosen Name, Pronouns and Gender Identity

Students will be able to designate a chosen name, pronoun, and gender identity within MyRecords. No legal documentation is required to make a change to a chosen name, pronoun, or gender identity.

View Instructions for How To Change: Chosen Name, Pronouns and Gender Identity in MyRecords



If you have questions, please contact Academic Records at 402-559-2151.