SHPEP Application Guide
All students who meet the Summer Health Professions Education Program eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a college freshman or sophomore at the time of application.
- Have a minimum overall college GPA of 2.5.
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or an individual granted deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Not have previously participated in the program.
- Identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in the health professions;
- Comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background; and/or
- Has demonstrated an interest in issues affecting underserved populations.
- Submits a compelling personal statement and a strong letter of recommendation.
- November 1, 2020: Application opens
- February 5, 2021: Application closes at 11:59 PM ET
- March 15, 2021: Admissions decisions released
- March 20, 2021: Program sites will begin accepting students from the waitlist
We encourage you to prepare and apply early! All applications must be submitted through the national SHPEP application system at www.shpep.org.