Tax Information

The University of Nebraska Medical Center cannot provide tax advice.

Former Students: To reclaim your UNMC credentials to access My records go to UNMC Temporary Access Request


The University of Nebraska will generate and mail 1098-T forms to all qualified students who were enrolled during the Tax Year.

The forms will be mailed by January 31st for the previous year to the student's permanent address unless a billing address has been specified.

IRS Regulations

The IRS requires institutions to report either qualified payments received in box 1 or qualified tuition and fees billed in box 2 on the 1098-T form.

Beginning with the 2017 tax year, the university will report on qualified payments made during the calendar year, January 1st – December 31st. This amount is reported in box 1.

Box 1 amount will only include payments made for qualified tuition and related fees, not the total amount of payments posted to the student account. The amount in box 1 is to assist you in determining if you can claim an educational credit; however, this amount may not be the amount you can claim. Please consult the IRS Educational Credit publications and/or your tax advisor for help in determining the amounts you may be able to claim.

Box 5 will show all qualified scholarships and grants that appeared on your billing statement for those terms during the tax year.

Accessing 1098-T Information Online

1098T Summary and Detail information can be viewed online via My Records
We can only provide you with information about what we are required to report on the 1098-T. Please consult your tax advisor for any 1098-T tax related questions.

US Citizens and Non-US Citizens

For U.S. Citizens, your social security number (SSN) is required to process a 1098-T. Please stop by Academic Records and show your SSN card to update our records. Reminder emails will be sent to the accounts of the students without a SSN on file.

Non U.S. citizens that have an Individual Tax Payer Identification (TIN) can also submit those to Student Accounts and can be used to process a 1098-T.

IRS Publications & Other Forms

For more information on the following, please visit the IRS website, or contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040: