The purpose of the HOSA organization is to develop leadership and technical HOSA skill competencies through a program of motivation, awareness and recognition.
The mission of HOSA is to enhance the delivery of compassionate, quality health care by providing opportunities for knowledge, skill and leadership development of all health science education students, therefore, helping the student meet the needs of the health care community.
What do HOSA members do?
- Compete in medical related events
- Explore the medical career field
- Volunteer and raise awareness for medical issues
- Develop Leadership Skills
- Connect and network with people who are interested in or already a part of the medical world
- Prepare for a successful career in a medical profession
Types of Competitive events
Health Science Events: Dental Terminology, Medical Spelling, Medical Terminology, Medical Math, Medical Reading, Human Growth and Development, Pathophysiology, Medical Laws and Ethics, Pharmacology, Nutrition, Transcultural Health Care
Health Profession Events: Biotechnology, Clinical Nursing, Clinical Specialty, Dental Science, Home Health Aide, Medical Assisting, Nursing Assistant, Physical Therapy, Sports Medicine, Veterinary Science
Emergency Preparedness Events: CERT Skills, CPR/First Aid, Emergency Medical Technician, Epidemiology, Public Health
Leadership Events: Extemporaneous Health Poster, Extemporaneous Writing, Healthy Lifestyle, Job Seeking Skills, Medical Photography, Prepared Speaking, Researched Persuasive Speaking
Team Work Events: Biomedical Debate, Forensic Medicine, Community Awareness, Creative Problem Solving, Health Career Display, Health Education, HOSA Bowl, Parliamentary Procedure, Public Service Announcement
What UNMC HOSA did this year:
- Got information on how to be more prepared next year and grow our HOSA chapter in the future
- Took part in Nebraska HOSA State Leadership Conference in Grand Island, NE
- Practiced and prepared for state conference in Lincoln, NE
- Took three teams and competed in CPR/First Aid at state
- Attended multiple medical leadership seminars
- Competed with our first place team at Nationals in Orlando, FL
- 3 student members were able to attend Nationals and attend various HOSA seminars