The rigors of enrollment in a medical curriculum can be overwhelming for some. Recognizing the need to promote wellness and deter burnout, UNMC has taken several steps to promote personal wellness through a program that emphasizes self-care, self-awareness, and professionalism.
The goals of the UNMC Wellness program are to:
- Establish and exhibit a presence, and availability of a wellness coordinator to the students and their families.
- Advocate, listen, address the concerns of students in their search for self-understanding, direction and decision-making.
- Promote self-reliant, resilient and empowered students throughout rigorous course work and clinical experiences.
- Assist students in interpreting University and College of Medicine policies and procedures.
- Refer students to more comprehensive help should the need arise.
- Provide a nurturing, caring and supportive student culture.
- Establish a mentor culture to provide guidance and assistance to students.
The Training the Physicians of Tomorrow curriculum has been designed with student wellness in mind, to assist in academic excellence and promote mental health. Please take a moment to view a typical week's schedule, which includes built-in wellness blocks for two half-days weekly. In addition, intersession days provide students with one full weekday free of educational material twice per semester.