- All confocal users must provide a cost center number to be charged for each and every appointment when requesting services.
- Individuals must have received training and accrued 20 hours of supervised image acquisitions before running unassisted or after regular business hours and weekends.
- Fees will be charged by time, with a minimum charge of 30 minutes; use after the first 30 minutes are charged to the nearest 1/4 hour.
- Cancellations with less than a 24-hour notice, will be charged a fee of $30 to recover instrument set-up costs.
- Use is billed monthly through the automated RSS scheduling and billing system.
- If you arrive more than 15 minutes after your planned arrival, your first hour will be charged from the time scheduled, not the time of arrival. If you are more than 30 minutes late during high use periods, your time slot may be assigned to another user.
- If you overbook time (i.e., book three hours and use one hour), you will be charged for the full use period unless another user is available on short notice.
Acknowledgement of the Core Facility
All users of the Advanced Microscopy Core Facility are obligated to acknowledge the facility in formal publications and presentations which include data generated in the facility. We also appreciate receiving reprints of such publications.
Confocal Acknowledgment: "We thank Janice A. Taylor and James R. Talaska of the Advanced Microscopy Core Facility at the University of Nebraska Medical Center for providing assistance with confocal microscopy and the Nebraska Research Initiative and the Eppley Cancer Center (P30CA036727) for their support of the Core Facility."
Please acknowledge the National Institutes of Health Shared Instrument Grant program and the Nebraska Research Initiative for use of the following instruments:
Zeiss ELYRA PS.1 Super Resolution System "Nebraska Research Initiative Grant" and Nebraska Center for Cellular Signaling CoBRE "NIH P30-GM-106397"
LSM 710 Zeiss Confocal Microscope "NIH S10-RR-027301"
LSM 510 Zeiss Confocal Microscope "NIH S10-RR-019278"
1) Open for use Monday Sept. 15. For $30/hour, users will be able to bring SIM samples to core facility personnel for acquisition of images and basic processing.
2) Only core personnel will acquire images and process them (including dual/multi-channel alignments), but users will be able to view and choose the regions of interest that they wish to acquire on cover-slips.
3) The core facility will provide basic processing and channel alignment, and will allow users to choose how they would like the data rendered and saved. Among these options are TIF images of a composite 3D SIM, individual TIFs of various z-sections, altered angles, planes, etc. as TIF images, 3D movies, etc. Please note: these image processing manipulations are complex and take time, yet they are an essential part of the SIM analysis thus are part of the core service (and charge). First-time users may contact the core director for initial consultation/advise prior to using the facility. For each laboratory, this consultation will be free the first time, but will be subject to time and availability of the director.
4) Users may also request a consultation with the core director to analyze/interpret results obtained at the processing workstation. The fee will be $50/half an hour, and is dependent on the availability of the director, with no obligation for the director/facility to provide this extra service.
Extra service: Users who wish further analysis/interpretation of their results at the core processing workstation may request a consultation with the core director (core facility fee will be $50/half an hour, and is dependent on the availability of the director, with no obligation for the director/facility to provide this extra service).
In select circumstances, where additional expertise is required and goes beyond an additional consultation, if requested the director may agree to serve as a collaborator for a given project. This is not a regular service provided by the facility and is subject to the discretion, time and availability of the director.