REDCap is an important resource for collection, management, and analysis of research data. UNMC’s REDCap service is accessible to all of our faculty, staff, and students, and in most circumstances can be used as is without incurring service charges. However, fees have been established to cover infrastructure costs such as data backup, long-term storage, and Research IT Office (RITO) staff support. RITO provides technical support for investigators that require project assistance to create their database or other customizations on a fee-for-service basis, these policies will be effective from July 1st, 2016.
- Each REDCap user can create an unlimited number of test (non-research) projects (Project Purpose set to “Practice/Just for Fun”), with a maximum of 30 case records per test project. These records must not contain real data or be used for any research purpose.
- The user must move their research projects from Development status to Production status prior to collecting real data. Changes to a production project are permitted, but if the data are to be used in a peer-reviewed publication, please be aware that reviewers may frown upon changes that have been made after the project has commenced data collection. The user must thoroughly test their project before moving to production.
- Before changing to Production status, the project administrator must provide the start date, estimated end date, and cost center. RITO will not use the cost center for any REDCap-related services until we have approval from the project owner.
- Services rendered by RITO will be charged at the rate of $60/hour for NU System faculty and $120/hour for other External Academic users. A minimum charge of 1/2 hour per incident applies. For these services, billing will be done at the end of UNMC fiscal quarters.
Services include (but are not limited to):
- Adding external (non-UNMC) REDCap user accounts (up to six users per 1/2 hour);
- Reviewing and approving changes to projects already in Production;
- Resetting passwords;
- Writing or executing custom queries to the REDCap SQL backend database;
- Development of or assistance with REDCap projects;
- Development of custom REDCap extensions/plug-ins;
- Any other REDCap task that requires intervention by RITO staff.
- Long-term projects (over 12 months in duration) will be assessed a $150/year hosting charge. These charges will be billed annually on day 366 from the project production date. Projects with less than 12 months lifespan do not incur any charges unless you exceed data quotas (see below). RITO should be contacted to delete projects as soon as they are complete to avoid service fees.
- Any project consuming more than 2000 MB of data will incur a fee of $1 for each 100 MB in excess of 2000 MB. Please note that data consumption includes data transmitted over the network, and that on average, each REDCap web page view consumes about 0.1 MB. Larger projects, projects that allow for uploading of attachments, or projects with more users will naturally consume more data, but the majority of projects will not incur data overages fees.
- RITO can archive completed projects for a $250 data management fee plus annual data storage costs. Please see our standard data storage rates for details here.
- RITO can provide a Service Level Agreement (SLA) for small to large scale or multi-year projects. An SLA could include a multitude of services (custom programming in REDCap, custom report writing, integrating with other registries, dedicated programmer time, business hours service and support to the project, and others, depending on your needs). Contact us here for details.