Spring 2021 Disbursements
Disbursements for the 2020-2021 Spring semester will occur on January 4th. The Financial Office recommends checking your MyRecords ToDo list to ensure that you do not have any outstanding requirements that could impact processing of your Spring disbursement on January 4th. If you have questions regarding processing of refunds, please visit the Student Accounts website for more information.
2021-2022 FAFSA Processing
Filing the 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
The UNMC Financial Aid Office would like to take this opportunity to advise students the 2021-2022 is now available. Students must file the FAFSA every year to remain eligible for federal student aid (loans/grants).
- IF you are filing the FAFSA for the first time, you must create a FSA-ID. If you are an undergraduate, dependent student, your parents will also be required to create an FSA ID to complete the parent sections of the FAFSA.
- Please use the UNMC School Code 006895 to ensure your FAFSA information is sent to UNMC.
- Before going on-line to complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA, you/your parents may want to view the 2021-2022 pdf form to review the questions, determine what documents you may need, etc.
- The 2021-2022 FAFSA will collect 2019 U.S. INCOME and TAX INFORMATION. All 2019 income and tax information should have been completed/submitted to the IRS by JULY 2020. Filing the FAFSA any time after October 1 should not be an issue for students and/or families. We encourage students/parents to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT); however, it is not required. PLEASE review the Department of Education’s Frequently Asked Questions regarding the 2021-2022 IRS DRT BEFORE you begin the FAFSA completion process:
- If you are currently married and did NOT file a joint 2019 IRS Tax Return, you must include the combined 2019 incomes, taxes paid, untaxed income, and savings/investments for student and spouse when completing the 2021-2022 FAFSA.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 1, 2021
- Undergraduate student FAFSA data received by APRIL, 2021 will be considered for campus-based grant aid; and, if eligible, the Nebraska Promise tuition guarantee.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 1, 2021
- ALL currently enrolled, and 2021-2022 APPLICANTS for ADMISSION, should submit the 2021-2022 FAFSA by JUNE 1, 2021. APPLICANTS, do NOT delay your FAFSA filing waiting for an offer of admission to your program. File the FAFSA at the earliest possible date. The data will not be loaded into the student information system until you are admitted; but, filing early ensures you meet all the FAFSA application ‘date’ deadlines.
- UNMC UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS REGARDLESS OF PRIOR DEGREE: The programs listed below are considered undergraduate bachelor degree programs, regardless of having previously received a bachelor’s degree. The FAFSA must be completed in accordance with FAFSA requirements as an undergraduate student
- College of Nursing: Bachelor of Nursing
- College of Allied Health: Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science; Bachelor of Medical Imaging and Therapeutic Science Programs
- College of Dentistry: Bachelor of Dental Hygiene
- Students admitted to/or enrolled in these UNDERGRADUATE programs must answer: Q 29 with 3 or 4; Q 30 with 1 or 2 (pursing a 1st or 2nd Bachelor’s degree); Q 48 as NO.
ALL Other UNMC DEGREE and CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS are considered GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL Programs. The FAFSA should be completed in accordance with FAFSA instructions. PARENT information is NOT required on the FAFSA for graduate/professional students unless you are a College of Dentistry or College of Pharmacy Student. Dentistry and Pharmacy students who wish to be considered for the subsidized Health Professions Student Loan (interest free while enrolled and 5% interest in repayment) must file their FAFSA by June 1, 2021 AND PARENT income information must be included on the FAFSA for HPSL consideration.
INCOME REDUCTION REVIEW:
An income reduction review is relevant for undergraduate students only. Graduate and Professional students are not eligible for NEED BASED federal grant/loan aid. The income/tax information plays no role in your eligibility for Direct Unsubsidized/Direct Graduate PLUS loan aid.
The following procedure for INCOME REDUCTION REVIEW is as follows:
- The 2021-2022 FAFSA with valid 2019 Income/Tax Information must be on file in the UNMC Financial Aid Office before requesting the review. Our office will not consider income reduction reviews until a valid FAFSA with 2019 income/asset information is on file.
- Submit a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: INCOME REDUCTION REVIEW. Provide a written explanation for the request. Our office will review the request and advise the student and/or parents of the appropriate documentation required for the income reduction review.
The UNMC Financial Aid Office will accept Income Reduction Reviews for the following reasons:
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT or PARENTS (dependent student) FINALIZED a divorce in 2019 or 2020 and filed a joint 2019 tax return. Student/Parents must complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA using 2019 US IRS income/tax information from the joint tax return information before a review using 2020 income will be considered. A DIVORCE DECREE will be REQUIRED to consider the review. Reviews are not considered for the marital status of SEPARATED.
- UNDERGRADUATE DEPENDENT Student: parent/parents lost a job or had a significant decrease in income for 2020; parent deceased in 2019 or 2020 resulting in significant loss of income. Student and Parents must complete the FAFSA with the 2019 US IRS income/tax information before a review using 2020 income will be considered.
- UNDERGRADUATE MARRIED Student: Spouse lost their job due to termination; income reduced due to a change in job in 2020; spouse deceased in 2019 or 2020 resulting in significant loss of income. Student/Spouse must complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA with 2019 US IRS income/tax information before a review using 2020 income will be considered.
Review your ESTIMATED 2021-2022 Cost of Attendance
Contact the UNMC Financial Aid Office at email@example.com or 402-559-4199