Department of Environmental, Agricultural and Occupational Health
College of Public Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
The Charles W. Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction
University of Nebraska – Lincoln
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Environmental Health, College of Public Health
The Ohio State University-Columbus, OH
- 1970-1973 U.S. Navy, Aeronautical Engineering Duty Officer (AMDO), RVAH-1, USS Ranger (CVA-61) and USS Saratoga (CVA-60); Naval Intelligence, Captain, USN (Retired)
- 1973-1978 Manufacturing Engineer/Test Engineering Manager, Brunswick Defense Products, Inc., Lincoln, NE
- 1978-1990 Vice President and Plant Engineer, Land and Sky Mfg., Lincoln, NE
- 1990-1998 Research Associate and Lecturer, Department of Industrial and Management Systems Engineering, UNL
- 1995-1998 Adjunct Professor, Department of Construction Management, UNL
- 1998-2003 Assistant Professor, Department of Construction Management, UNL
- 2003-present Associate Professor, Durham School, Construction Engineering and Management, UNL
- 2003-2006 Associate Professor, Department of Preventive and Societal Medicine, UNMC
- 2006-present Associate Professor, Department of Environmental, Agricultural, and Occupational Health Science, UNMC
- 2010-present Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Environmental Health, The Ohio State University
- 2000, MPH, Harvard University, School of Public Health, Boston, MA
- 1997, PhD, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, NE
- 1996, MSIE, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, NE
- 1989, AM, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
- 1978, MA, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, NE
- 1974, BS, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, NE
- 1970, BA, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, NE
- Occupational safety and health for general industry, construction, and transportation.
- Industrial engineering and organizational psychology.
- Ergonomics in food processing, manufacturing, construction, and transportation.
- Fall injury risk modelling and prevention using wireless remote sensing.
- Physical/cognitive work simulation and human performance testing; aging workforce.
- Work-related soft-tissue injury analysis and prevention.
- Human sleep and shift-work scheduling for systems performance and safety.
- Riley, M.W., Cochran, D.J., Stentz, T.L., May, D.R. and Schwoerer, C.E. Case Study #1, Participatory ergonomics interventions in meatpacking, Ed. Gjessing, C.C., Schoenborn, T.F. and Cohen, A., DHHS (NIOSH) Publication, No. 94-124, pp. 51-91.
- Sposato, R.C., Riley, M.W., Ballard, J.L., Stentz, T.L., and Glisman, C.L. Wrist squareness and median nerve impairment, J Occup Environ Med, 37:1122-1126, 1995. Wrist squareness and median nerve impair... [J Occup Environ Med. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI
- May, D.R., Schwoerer, C.E., Stentz, T.L., and Cochran, D.J. Effects of ergonomic job design on employees. Health-related outcomes and organizational attitudes: A quasi-experimental field study. Personnel and Human Resource Management Division of the National Academy of Management Meeting, Vancouver, BC, August 1995.
- Riley, M.W., Stentz, T.L., and Tarawnecha, I. Safety impact issues of job associated sleep: Final Report, March, 1997. Prepared for Mid-America Transportation Center, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE; National Technical Information Service (NTIS), Springfield, Virginia, 1997.
- Cochran, D.J., Stentz, T.L. Stonecipher, BS and Hallbeck, MS Job or task analysis for risk factors of musculoskeletal disorders (Chap. 19); Guide for videotaping and gathering data on jobs for analysis of risks of musculoskeletal disorders (Chap. 30); Handbook of Industrial Ergonomics, CRC Press, 2000.
- Cai, C., Perry, M.J., Sorock, G.S., Hauser, R., Spanjer, K.J., Mittleman, M.A. and Stentz, T.L. Laceration injuries among workers at meat packing plants. Am J Ind Med, 47:403-410, 2005. Laceration injuries among workers at meat packi... [Am J Ind Med. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI
- Lander, L., Sorock, G., Stentz, T.L., Eisen, E.A., Mittleman, M., Hauser, R. and Perry, M.J. Validation of self-reported occupational exposures in meatpacking workers. Am J Ind Med, 52:707-715, 2009. Validation of self-reported occupational exposu... [Am J Ind Med. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
- Lander, L., Eisen, E.A., Stentz, T.L. Spanjer, K.J., Wendland, B. and Perry, M.J. Near-miss reporting system as an occupational injury prevention intervention in manufacturing. Am J Ind Med, 54:40-48, 2011. Near-miss reporting system as an occupational i... [Am J Ind Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
- Lander, L., Sorock, G., Stentz, T.L., Eisen, E.A., Mittleman, M., Hauser, R. and Perry J. A case-crossover study of occupational laceration injuries in pork processing. Occup Environ Med, 69:410-416, 2012. A case-crossover study of laceration injur... [Occup Environ Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
Registrations and Licenses
- Board Certified Professional Ergonomist (CPE)
- Board Certified Professional Constructor (CPC)
- Registered Professional Industrial Hygienist (RPIH)
- Licensed Electrical Contractor-State of Nebraska
- Certified OSHA Outreach Instructor (29 CFR 1910 - General Industry)
- Certified OSHA Outreach Instructor (29 CFR 1926 - Construction)
Professional Society Memberships
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) - Senior Member
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES) - Member
- American Institute of Constructors (AIC) - Member
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) - Full Member
- Association of Registered Professional Industrial Hygienists (ARPIH) - Member
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) - Full Professional Member