Professor and Chair
Department of Epidemiology
College of Public Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2021-present, Professor and Chair, Department of Epidemiology, UNMC College of Public Health
- 2014-2021, Professor and Chair, Epidemiology Program, LSU School of Public Health
- 2004- 2021 Member, Louisiana Cancer Research Consortium
- 2009-2014 Associate Professor with Tenure, Epidemiology, LSU School of Public Health
- 2004-2009 Assistant Professor, Epidemiology, LSU School of Public Health
- 2006-2022 Director Epidemiology Data Center, LSU School of Public Health
- 2004-2006 Co-Director, Biospecimen and Data Core Louisiana Cancer Research Consortium
- 2000-2004 Instructor, Genetics & Complex Diseases (Cancer Biology) Harvard School of Public Health
- 1999-2004 Instructor, Oral Health Policy and Epidemiology Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- 1993-2004 Associate Surgeon, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- 1993-2004 Attending Surgeon, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- 1992-1994 Instructor, Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- 1999, ScD, Harvard University, Major: Epidemiology
- 1995, SM, Harvard University, Major: Epidemiology
- 1993, SM, Harvard University, Major: Health Policy & Management
- 1990, DMD, University of Connecticut, Major: Dentistry
- 1985, BA, Clark University, Major: Biology
- July 1994 - June 1996, Dental Public Health, Harvard University, Boston, MA, United States
- July 1991 - June 1993, Fellowship in Oral Medicine and Oral Oncology, Brigham & Women's Hospital and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA, United States
- July 1, 1990 - June 30, 1991, General Practice Residency, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, United States
Licensures and Certifications
- LA Dental License, State of Louisiana. (2018 - 2020).
- Diplomate Dental Public Health, American Board of Dental Public Health. (2000 - Present).
- MA Dental License, State of Massachusetts. (June 1990 - Present).
Dr. Peters' research interests use classic and molecular epidemiologic tools to examine molecular and biologic heterogeneity and susceptibility of cancer and other chronic diseases. This research examines how social determinants of health influence disparate disease outcomes through a transdisciplinary social-genomic perspective. His lab is currently studying the interaction between the built environment, stress, inflammation, and the development of ovarian, colorectal, and oral cancers. He is the PI of the of a study to examine the impact of environmental stressors on chronic disease disparities in Women and Women's and Their Children's Health Study that was established to examine the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill's health effects. This project currently is investigating the impact of social stressors on epigenetic age acceleration and chronic health disparities and testing whether the social environment, individual health behaviors, and race/geography/SES modify or mediate the association between traumatic stress and health (disparities), directly or indirectly through biologic age acceleration.
- 2000 James M. Dunning Award: Excellence in Health Care Delivery and Research, Harvard University
- 2010 Dr. Allen A. Copping Award for Excellence in Teaching, LSUHSC
- 2016 Pfizer/Salvatore Giorgianni Professorship of Health Systems, LSUHSC-SPH New Orleans
- Society of Epidemiologic Research
- American College of Epidemiology
- Interdisciplinary Association for Population Health Science
- American Association for Cancer Research
- International Society for Environmental Epidemiology
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Public Health
- C., M., Oral, E., Straif-Bourgeois, S.C., Rung, A., & Peters, E.S. The effect of area deprivation on COVID-19 risk in Louisiana. PLOS ONE, 15(12), Dec. 2020. e0243028. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0243028
- Rung, A., Oral, E., Berghammer, L., & Peters, E.S. (2020). Feasibility and Acceptability of a Mobile Mindfulness Meditation Intervention among Women: Intervention Study. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. June 2020 https://doi.org/10.2196/15943
- Afaneh, H., Kc, M., Lieberman, A., Fenton, A., Santa Ana, S., Staples, L., Conner, J. M., & Peters, E. S. (2020). Rural-urban disparities in the distribution of dental caries among children in south-eastern Louisiana: a cross-sectional study. Rural and Remote Health, 20(3), 5954. https://doi.org/10.22605/RRH5954
- Staples, J. N., Peres, L. C., Camacho, F., Alberg, A. J., Bandera, E. V., Barnholtz-Sloan, J., Bondy, M. L., Cote, M. L., Funkhouser, E., Moorman, P. G., Peters, E. S., Schwartz, A. G., Terry, P. D., & Schildkraut, J. M. (2020). Cardiometabolic comorbidities and epithelial ovarian cancer risk among African-American women in the African-American Cancer Epidemiology Study (AACES). Gynecologic Oncology, 158(1), 123–129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2020.04.700.
- Du, Z., Weinhold, N., Song, G. C., Rand, K. A., Van Den Berg, D. J., Hwang, A. E., Sheng, X., Hom, V., Ailawadhi, S., Nooka, A. K., Singhal, S., Pawlish, K., Peters, E. S., Bock, C., Mohrbacher, A., Stram, A., Berndt, S. I., Blot, W. J., Casey, G., … Cozen, W. (2020). A meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies of multiple myeloma among men and women of African ancestry. Blood Advances, 4(1), 181–190. https://doi.org/10.1182/bloodadvances.2019000491.
- Salerno J, Coleman KJ, Jones F, Peters ES. The ethical challenges and opportunities of implementing engagement strategies in health research. Ann Epidemiol.;59:37-43. July 2021.
- Nugent N, Gaston SA, Perry J, Rung AL, Trapido EJ, Peters ES. PTSD symptom profiles among Louisiana women affected by the 2010 Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill: A latent profile analysis. 250:289-297; J Affect Disord. May 2019.
- Rung, A., Oral, E., Fontham, E., Harrington, D., Trapido, E., & Peters, E. The Long-Term Effects of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill on Women’s Depression and Mental Distress. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, 1-8. doi:10.1017/dmp.2018.14. Feb. 2018.
- Gaston SA, Volaufova J, Peters ES, Ferguson TF, Robinson WT, Nugent N, Trapido EJ, Rung AL. Individual-level exposure to disaster, neighborhood environmental characteristics, and their independent and combined associations with depressive symptoms in women. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. Jun 27, 2017.
- Applebaum KM, Furniss CS, Zeka A, Posner MR, Eisen EA, Peters ES, McClean MD, Kelsey KT. Lack of association of alcohol and tobacco with HPV16-associated head and neck cancer. J National Cancer Inst. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007; 99(23):1801-10.