Department of Epidemiology
College of Public Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2022 - present, Instructor for the Department of Epidemiology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Public Health, Omaha, NE
- 2019 - present, Healthcare Associated Infections (HAI)/Antibiotic Resistance Epidemiology (AR) and Operations Director, Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. Lincoln, NE
- 2015-2018- Epidemiologist Research Intern, Minnesota Department of Health, Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Prevention and Control (IDEPC). St. Paul, MN
- 2003-2019- Assistant Director of Compliance and Advising, International Students and Scholars Services
- Minnesota State University, Mankato, MN
- 1999-2002- Laboratory Analyst, Minnesota Valley Testing Laboratories, New Ulm, MN
- 2018, PhD, Environmental Health Sciences: Infectious Diseases, University of Minnesota, School of Public Health
- 2004, MSc, Health Science: Community Health, Minnesota State University-Mankato, Mankato, MN
- Antimicrobial resistant organisms and emerging trends
- Social determinants of health in healthcare epidemiology
- Vaccinations, implementations and breakthroughs
- Surveillance mechanisms in infectious diseases
- Role of social media in public health
- Johnson, A. G. ... Ishrat Kamal-Ahmed, PhD, ... (2022). COVID-19 Incidence and Death Rates among Unvaccinated and Fully Vaccinated Adults with and Without Booster Doses During Periods of Delta and Omicron Variant Emergence—25 U.S. Jurisdictions, April 4–December 25, 2021. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 71. https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm7104e2
- Paz, -Bailey Gabriela, Sternberg, M., Kugeler, K., Hoots, B., Amin, A. B., Johnson, A. G., Barbeau, B., Bayoumi, N. S., Bertolino, D., Boulton, R., Brown, C. M., Busen, K., Cima, M., Drenzek, C., Gent, A., Haney, G., Hicks, L., Hook, S., Jara, A., … Scobie, H. M., ... Ishrat Kamal-Ahmed, Ph.D., ... (2022). Covid-19 Rates by Time since Vaccination during Delta Variant Predominance. NEJM Evidence, 1(3), EVIDoa2100057. https://doi.org/10.1056/EVIDoa2100057
- Watkins, A. B., Brand, L. M., Schwedhelm, M., Jensen, H. L., Scott, B., German, D. K., Strand, K. P., Kamal-Ahmed, I., Lawler, J., & Salman Ashraf, M. (2021). Implementation and Outcomes of a Program to Coordinate and Administer Monoclonal Antibody Therapy to Long-Term Care Facility Residents with COVID-19. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, 8(Supplement_1), S353. https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofab466.700
- Kamal-Ahmed, I. Tierney, M., Drake, M., Iwen, P., & Safranek, T. Multiple cluster of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Recognized by Whole Genome Sequencing, Nebraska, 2019. Annual meeting of The Counsel of State and Territorial Epidemiologists, HAI/AR Lightning Session, Virtual
- Kamal-Ahmed, I., Kanishka, F., Stover, D., Donahue, M., Du, Y., & German, D. (April 2021). New Cases of COVID-19 Transmission after the First-Dose of Vaccine at Skilled Nursing Facilities in Nebraska. Spring meeting of The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, Virtual.
- Kamal-Ahmed, I. (June 2018). Poverty and Invasive Group A Streptococcus Infections in Minnesota 1996-2016: Analyzing Social Disparity with the Use of Geocoding and Area- based Poverty Measures. Annual meeting of The Society of Epidemiological Research, Baltimore, MD.
- Kamal-Ahmed, I. (August 2018). Health Disparity and Invasive Group A Streptococcal Infection: A Multilevel Analysis Using Census-Derived Area-Based Socioeconomic Measures. International Conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases, Atlanta, GA.