Department of Epidemiology
College of Public Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2023-Present Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology, UNMC College of Public Health
- 2017-2022, Director and Medical Director, Student Health Services, Chief Medical Advisor to the Chancellor, COVID 2019-2022, NC State University
- 2014-2022, Adjunct Associate Professor, Biological Sciences, College of Sciences, Global Health Minor Coordinator, 2019- 2022 Faculty: Global Public Health, Agriculture Security and One Health
- North Carolina State University
- 2006-2017, Director, Public Health Preparedness and Response, NC Department of Health and Human Services
- 2000-2006, Director, Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response, Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- 1996-1999, Attending Physician and Clinical Director, Emergency Medicine Franklin Square Hospital Center, Baltimore, Maryland
- 1998-2006, Consultant and Instructor in Bioterrorism, Disaster Preparedness International
- 1983-1996, Attending Physician, Department of Emergency Medicine Member of Development Team and Medical Director, JHH Advanced Life Support Transport Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, 1984-1998, Assistant Professor in Emergency Medicine Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Baltimore, Maryland
- 1980, MD, New York University School of Medicine
- 1990, MPH, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health
- 1980-1982, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Internal Medicine
- 1982-1983, University of Maryland Medical Center, Internal Medicine
Professional and Research Interests
- Dr Casani’s career has been focused on preparing for, responding to and recovering from emergencies, disasters and catastrophes. Having entered the fields of emergency medicine and public health preparedness during their infancies, she has had to adapt practices from other like-responses. The greatest challenge was and is to develop an evidence-base for public health preparedness. The fields of interest for her in research include Public Health and Disaster Preparedness, Disaster Epidemiology, Health Disparities and Community Health Resilience, Leadership during Crisis.
- American Public Health Association
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health
- Clements B, Casani J, Disasters and Public Health: Planning and Response, 2016
- Committee Member and Contributor, Evidence-based practice for public health emergency preparedness and response. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/25650.
- Bernitz M, McNeil M, Casani J, “Campus Management of Infectious Disease Outbreaks”, in Vaughn and Viera, Principles and Practices of College Health, Springer, 2020
- Atherstone C, Peterson ML, Malone M, et al. Time from Start of Quarantine to SARS-CoV-2 Positive Test Among Quarantined College and University Athletes — 17 States, June–October 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2021;70:7–11. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm7001a2
- Wang A, Issa A, Bayleyegn T, et al. Notes from the Field. Mortality Associated with Hurricane Matthew — United States, October 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2017;66:145 146. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6605a3.
- Khan AS, Fleischauer A, Casani J, Groseclose SL, “The next public health revolution: public health information fusion and social networks.”Am J Public Health. 2010 Jul;100(7):1237-42.
- Collaborator “Ischemic Cardiac Events During the DHHS Smallpox Vaccination Program, 2003”, Clin Infect Dis 2008 Mar 15; 46 Supp 3; S234-41
- Hsu EB, Casani JA, Romanosky A, Millin MG, Singelton CM, Donohue J, Feroli ER, Rubin M, Subbarao I, Whyne DM, Snodgrass TD, Kelen GD, “Critical Assessment of Statewide Hospital Pharmaceutical Surge Capabilities for Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosive Incidents, Prehospital Disaster Med, 2007 May-Jun:22(3):214-8
- Hsu EB, Casani JA, Romanosky A, Millin MG, Singelton CM, Donohue J, Feroli ER, Rubin M, Subbarao I, Whyne DM, Snodgrass TD, Kelen GD,“Are Regional Hospital Pharmacies Prepared for Public Health Emergencies?”,Biosecur Bioterr,2006;4(3):237-3
- Casani. J., Matuszak, D., Benjamin, G., “Under Siege: One State’s Perspective of the Anthrax Events of October/November 2001”, Biosecurity and Bioterrorism, 1, No1, 2003
- Blythe, D., Edwards, L., Shah, D., Casani, J., Matthews, K.,Steinberger, E., Wegner, M.,Davies-Cole, J., Hawkins Jones, L., Souza E., Capparella, J.,Branch, L., Sockwell, D., Hutwagner, L., “Results from the National Capitol Region Emergency Department (ED) Syndromic Surveillance System”, abstract , APHA, 2002