Director and Assistant Professor
Department of Epidemiology
Center for Biosecurity, Biopreparedness, and Emerging Infectious Diseases
College of Public Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2016 - Present Director, Center for Biosecurity, Biopreparedness, and Emerging Infectious Diseases
- 2014 - Present Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology, UNMC
- 2014 - 2016 Co-Director, Center for Biosecurity, Biopreparedness, and Emerging Infectious Diseases, UNMC
- 2002 - 2014 Associate Director, Center for Preparedness Education, Center for Biopreparedness/Biosecurity and Emerging Infectious Diseases, UNMC
- 2010 - 2014 Instructor, Department of Health Promotion, Social & Behavioral Health, UNMC
- 2008 - 2010 Instructor, Department of Epidemiology, UNMC
- PhD Emergency Preparedness, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 2013
- MEd Adult Education, University of Oklahoma, 1997
- BS Biology, Wright State University, 1993
- AD Nursing, Lethbridge Community College, 1984
- My research area is in disaster/emergency preparedness
- Healthcare and long term care preparedness.
- Social media use in disasters
- Smallpox vaccination of laboratory workers at national variola testing sites
- Medcalf, S., Bilek, L., Hartman, T., Iwen, P. C., Leuschen, P., Miller, H., ... & Smith, P. W. (2015). Smallpox Vaccination of Laboratory Workers at US Variola Testing Sites. Emerging infectious diseases, 21(8), 1437.
- Medcalf, S., Hansen, K., & Sanger, K. (2015). Time for a Professional Association for Healthcare Emergency Preparedness. Health security, 13(3), 184-185.
- Kassmeier, M. D., Medcalf, S., Hansen, K., & Smith, P. W. (2013). Disaster preparedness and pandemic plans: A survey of Nebraska home health agencies. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, 7(2), 182-190.
- Philip W. Smith, Keith Hansen, Harlan Sayles, Brendan Brodersen, Sharon Medcalf “A long-term care facility pandemic influenza preparedness planning assessment tool” American Journal of Disaster Medicine. 2011:4:219-230
- Nusair, Ahmad, Dawn Jourdan, Sharon Medcalf, Nedra Marion, Peter C Iwen, Paul D Fey, Elizabeth Reed, Alan Langnas, and Mark E Rupp. "Infection Control Experience in a Cooperative Care Center for Transplant Patients." Infection 29, no. 5 (2008): 424-29.
- Philip W. Smith et al. “Designing a Biocontainment Unit to Care for Patients with Serious Communicable Diseases: A Consensus Statement” Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science. 2006: 4: 351-365
- Mark E. Rupp, Sharon J. Medcalf “Monsel’s Solution: A Potential Vector for Nosocomial Infection?” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 2003;24:142-44.
- American Public Health Association
- Public Health Association of Nebraska
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control
- Nebraska Rural Health Association
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine Mid Continental Region