Endowed Community Chair & Professor
Department of Health Promotions
Buffett Early Childhood Institute
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2017 - Present, Endowed Community Chair for Physical Activity, Nutrition and Obesity and Professor, College of Public Health and Buffett Early Childhood institute
- 2007 - 2014, Head, Department of Kinesiology, Kansas State University
- 1999 - 2007, Kansas Health Foundation Professor of Community Health, Kansas State University
- 1995 - 2002, Head, Department of Kinesiology, Kansas State University
- 2017, Emeritus Professor, Department of Kinesiology, Kansas State University
- 1999 - 2016, Professor, Department of Kinesiology, Kansas State University
- 1993 - 1999 Associate Professor, Department of Kinesiology, Kansas State University
- 1987 - 1992, Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology, Kansas State University
- 1983, B.A., Western Washington University
- 1985, M.S., West Virginia University
- 1987, Ph.D., University of Iowa
Improving physical activity and nutrition of children for population health through identifying drivers of health behavior and evaluating interventions facilitating organizational change across sectors resulting in numerous places promoting health behavior where people live, learn, work, play, and seek care are Dr. Dzewaltowski research interests. Dr. Dzewaltowski builds on his past work on focused on developing community human-environment system theory and evaluating interventions promoting physical activity, healthful eating, and other health behaviors across in childcare settings, after-school programs, elementary schools, youth sport and diverse youth club organizations. Dr. Dzewaltowski was also a founding member of the RE-AIM Framework workgroup, whose goal has been to encourage program planners, evaluators, and policy-makers to pay more attention to essential program elements that can improve the sustainable adoption and implementation of effective, evidence-based health promotion programs.
- Schlechter, C.R., Rosenkranz, R.R., Fees, B.S. & Dzewaltowski, D.A. (In Press). Preschool daily patterns of physical activity driven by location and social context. Journal of School Health.
- Schenkelberg, M.A., Rosenkranz, R.R., Miliken, G.A., Menear, K., & Dzewaltowski, D.A. (In Press). Social but Sedentary: Implications of Social Groups on Sedentary Behavior of Children with Autism. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders.
- Schlechter, C. R., Rosenkranz, R. R., Milliken, G. A., & Dzewaltowski, D. A. (2017). Physical activity levels during youth sport practice: does coach training or experience have an influence? Journal of sports sciences, 35(1), 22-28.
- Schlechter, C. R., Rosenkranz, R. R., Guagliano, J. M., & Dzewaltowski, D. A. (2016). A systematic review of children's dietary interventions with parents as change agents: Application of the RE-AIM framework. Preventive Medicine, 91, 233-243
- Dzewaltowski, D.A., Rosenkranz, R., Geller, K., Coleman, K., Welk, G., Hastmann, T., et al. (2010). Healthy Opportunities for Physical Activity and Nutrition After-School: A randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 7, 90-90
- Dzewaltowski, D. A., Estabrooks, P. A., Welk, G., Hill, J., Milliken, G., Karteroliotis, K., & Johnston, J. A. (2009). Healthy youth places: a randomized controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of facilitating adult and youth leaders to promote physical activity and fruit and vegetable consumption in middle schools. Health Education & Behavior, 36(3), 583-600.
- Coleman, K.J., Tiller, C.L., Sanchez, J., Heath, E.M., Sy, O, Milliken, G., & Dzewaltowski, D.A. (2005). Preventing the epidemic rise in child overweight in low-income schools: The El Paso Coordinated Approach to Child Health (El Paso CATCH). Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 159, 217-224
- Coleman, K.J., Shordon, M., Caparosa, S.L., Pomichowski, M.E., & Dzewaltowski, D.A. (2012). The Healthy Options for Nutrition Environments in Schools (Healthy ONES) group randomized trial: Using implementation models to change nutrition policy and environments in low income schools. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 9, 80.
- Rosenkranz, R.R., Behrens, T.K., & Dzewaltowski, D.A. (2010). A Group-Randomized Controlled Trial for Health Promotion in Girl Scouts: Healthier Troops in a SNAP (Scouting Nutrition and Activity Program). BMC Public Health, 10, 81.
- Bauman, A.E., Sallis, J.F., Dzewaltowski, D.A., Owen, N. (2002). Towards a better understanding of the influences on physical activity: The role of Determinants, Correlates, Causal Variables, Mediators, Moderators, Confounders. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 23, 5-14
- American Public Health Association
- American College of Sports Medicine
- International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Society for Behavioral Medicine