Department of Health Promotion, Social, and Behavioral Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2010-present Associate Professor, Department of Health Promotion, College of Public Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC).
- 2009-2011 Director, Center for Reducing Health Disparities, College of Public Health, UNMC.
- 2005-2008 Chair, Department of Sociology/Anthropology, University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO).
- 2005-2009 Professor, Sociology, Department of Sociology/Anthropology, UNO.
- 2000-2005 Chair, Sociology, Graduate Programs Committee, UNO.
- 2000-2005 Associate Professor, Department of Sociology/Anthropology, UNO.
- 1993-2000 Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology/Anthropology, UNO.
- 1989-1993 Part-time Teaching Instructor, Eastern Kentucky University.
- 1989-1991 Part-time Teaching Instructor, University of Kentucky.
- 1993 Ph.D. Sociology (Medical) University of Kentucky.
- 1990 Certificate of Medical Behavioral Science. University of Kentucky.
- 1987 M.A. Sociology. University of Kentucky.
- 1982 M.Com. (Business, Commerce). Madras University, India.
- 1980 B.Com. (Business, Commerce). Madras University, India.
Health disparities, women’s health, intimate partner violence and sexual assault, sex trafficking, and environmental justice.
- Rajaram, S.S. & Tidball, S. (2016). Nebraska Survivor’s Speak – A Qualitative Research Study. Final Report submitted to the Women’s Fund of Omaha. [weblink]
- Rajaram, S.S., Novak., E., Barrios, A., Rogers, J. & Leal, S. (2015) Women’s Voices: Latinas, Intimate Partner Violence & Immigration Policy (U-Visa). Final Report. A Collaborative Effort of the College of Public Health at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, Justice for our Neighbors, Juan Diego Center, Latina Resources Center, Catholic Charities, and Women’s Center for Advancement. [weblink]
- Rajaram, S.S. & Bockrath, S. Cultural Competence: New Conceptual Insights into its Limits and Potential for Addressing Health Disparities. Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice. 7(5): 82-89, 2014.
- Siu, K., Rajaram S. & Padilla, C. Impact of psychosocial factors on functional improvement in Latino elderly after Tai Chi Exercise. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 23:120-127, 2015.
- Bhuyan, S.S. Stimpson, J., Rajaram, S. & Lin, G. Mortality Outcome among Medically Underserved Women Screened through a Publicly Funded Breast Cancer Program, 1997-2007. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. Jul, 146(1):221-7, 2014.
- Rajaram, S., Grimm, B., Giroux, J., Peck, M. & Ramos, A. Using methods of strategic collaboration to partner with American Indian Communities in health. Progress in Community Health Partnerships. Forthcoming.
- Rajaram, S. & Fiscus, C. Building research capacity on the Rez. An inter-institutional collaboration. Invited submission from peer-reviewed journal, Progress in Community Health Partnerships (PCHP). Forthcoming.
- Barry, T., Kaiser, K. & Rajaram, S. Self-Reported Health Status and Health Determinants in Low Income Midlife Women. Women and Health. Forthcoming.
- Ramos, A., Rajaram, S., Gouveia, L., Doku, Y., Toure, D., Zhang, A., & Manske, S. Health Profile of Nebraska’s Latino Population. (2013). A collaborative effort of the College of Public Health at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, the Office of Latino and Latin American Studies at the University of Nebraska at Omaha and the Office of Health Disparities and Health Equity at the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services.
- Are, C., Rajaram. S., Are. M., Raj, H., Anderson, B.O., Chaluvarya, Swamy R, Vijayakumar, M., Song. T., Pandey. M., Edney, J.A. & Cazap, E.L. A review of global cancer burden: Trends, challenges, strategies, and a role for surgeons. A Journal of Surgical Oncology. Feb;107(2):221-6, 2013. J Surg Oncol. doi: 10.1002/jso.23248. Epub 2012 Aug 23.
- Are, C., Colburn, L., Rajaram, S. & Vijaykumar M. Disparities in cancer care between the United States of America and India and opportunities for surgeons to lead. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 1;102(1):100-5, 2010.
- Rajaram, S. Nursing Ethics and Sociology. Book Chapter in Legacies and Visions: Nursing Ethics. American Nursing Association. P.65-74. 2008.
- American Public Health Association
- Community Campus Partnerships for Health