Department of Health Promotion
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2021-Present, Assistant Professor, Department of Health Promotion, UNMC
- 2018-2021, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Health Promotion, UNMC
- 2015-2018, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Health Promotion, Social and Behavioral Health, UNMC
- 2009-2015, Graduate Research Assistant, Division of Health Policy and Management, University of Minnesota
- 2015, PhD, Health Services Research, Policy & Administration (with an emphasis on Health Decision Science), University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
- 2006, MHA, Healthcare Management, Chang Gung University
- 2004, BA, Healthcare Management, Taipei Medical University
- Michaud is experienced in conducting evidence-based economic evaluations of interventions at the clinical or population levels. Through this practice, her goal is to inform practice guidelines, health practice, and population health impact, and improve the quality of life for individuals. Dr. Michaud have coauthored several papers looking at the effectiveness or cost-effectiveness of intervention programs, and she is familiar with complex modern statistical analyses and modelling techniques used in the estimation of the long-term effects that extend beyond the study period of clinical trials. Her approach to research is multidisciplinary and utilizes skills in health services research, decision analysis, economic evaluation, and comparative effectiveness research. Dr. Michaud maintain personal and genuine interests in population aging, long-term care, obesity, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s disease. Her current research program focuses on the integration of decision science and health service research with implementation research to expand and promote health promotion programs to the population level by informing policy makers and stakeholders the decision-making process.
- Katula JA, Dressler EV, Kittel CA, Harvin LN, Almeida, FA, Wilson KE, Michaud TL, Porter GC, Brito FA, Goessl CL, Jasik CB, Castro Sweet CM, Schwab R, & Estabrooks PA. Effects of a Digital Diabetes Prevention Program on HbA1c and Body Weight in Prediabetes: A Randomized Clinical Trial. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2021. (in press)
- You, W, Yuan, Y, Boyle, KJ, Michaud, T, Parmeter, C, Seidel, RW, Estabrooks, PA. Examining Ways to Improve Weight Control Programs’ Population Reach and Representativeness: A Discrete Choice Experiment of Financial Incentives. Pharmacoeconomics Open. 2021. (in press)
- Hill JL, Heelan KA, Bartee RT, Wichman C, Michaud T, Abbey BM, Porter G, Golden C, Estabrooks PA. A Type III Hybrid Effectiveness–Implementation Pilot Trial Testing Dissemination and Implementation Strategies for a Pediatric Weight Management Intervention: The Nebraska Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration Project. Childhood Obesity. 2021 Sep 1;17(Supplement 1):S-70.
- Porter, G.C., Schwab, R., Hill, J.L., Bartee, R.T., Heelan, K.A., Michaud, T.L., & Estabrooks, P.A. Examining the feasibility and characteristics of realistic weight management support for patients: Focus groups with rural, micropolitan, and metropolitan primary care providers. Preventive Medicine Reports. 2021
- Michaud TL, Wilson K, Silva F, Almeida FA, Katula J, Estabrooks P. Costing a population health management approach for participant recruitment to a diabetes prevention study. Translational Behavioral Medicine. 2021.
- Wilson KE, Michaud TL, Almeida FA, Schwab RJ, Porter GC, Aquilina KH, Brito FA, Golden CA, Dressler EV, Kittel CA, Harvin LN, Boggs AE, Katula JA, & Estabrooks PA. Using a population health management approach to enroll participants in a diabetes prevention trial: Reach outcomes of the PREDICTS randomized clinical trial. Translational Behavioral Medicine, 2021.
- Michaud, T.L., Hill, JL., Estabrooks, P.A, Su, D. Cost analysis of a remote patient monitoring program for post-discharge patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare. 2020.
- Michaud, T.L., Estabrooks, P.A., You, W., McGuire, T.J., Almeida, F., Karls, K., Love, K., King, K., Hill, J., Reed, J. and Porter, G., 2020. Sustaining the reach of a scalable weight loss intervention through financial incentives-a pragmatic, feasibility, online randomized trial protocol. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2020. 98, p.106-142.
- Michaud TL, Ern J, Scoggins D, Su D. Assessing the impact of telemonitoring-facilitated lifestyle modifications on diabetes outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Telemedicine and e-Health. 2020.
- Andersen JA, Scoggins D, Michaud T, Wan N, Wen M, Su D. Racial Disparities in Diabetes Management Outcomes: Evidence from a Remote Patient Monitoring Program for Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Telemedicine and e-Health. 2020.
- Almeida, F.A., Michaud, T.L., Wilson, K.E., Schwab, R.J., Goessl, C., Porter, G.C., Brito, F.A., Evans, G., Dressler, E.V., Boggs, A.E. and Katula, J.A. Preventing diabetes with digital health and coaching for translation and scalability (PREDICTS): A type 1 hybrid effectiveness-implementation trial protocol. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2020. 88, p.105877.
- Michaud TL, Siahpush M, King KM, Ramos AK, Robbins RE, Schwab RJ, Clarke MA, Su D. Program completion and glycemic control in a remote patient monitoring program for diabetes management: does gender matter? Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2020 Jan 1;159:107944.
- Michaud TL, Siahpush M, Estabrooks PA, Schwab RJ, LeVan TD, Grimm B, Ramos AK, Johansson P, Scoggins D, Su Dejun. "Association between weight loss and glycemic outcomes: a post-hoc analysis of a remote patient monitoring program for diabetes management.” Telemedicine and e-Health 2019 May.
- Alarid-Escudero F, Enns EA, Kuntz KM, Michaud TL, Jalal H. “Time Traveling Is Just Too Dangerous," But Some Methods Are Worth Bringing Back: The Advantages of Expected Loss Curves Over Cost-Effectiveness Acceptability Curves and Frontier. Value in Health 2019, 22(5):611–618
- Porter G, Laumb K, Michaud T, Brito F, Petreca D, Schwieger G, Bartee T, Yeary K, Estabrooks P. Understanding the impact of rural weight loss interventions: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Obesity Reviews 2019 Jan 1.
- Michaud TL, Siahpush, M, Farazi, PA, Kim, J, Yu, F, Su, D, Murman, DL. The Association between Body Mass Index, and Cognitive, Functional, and Behavioral Declines for Incident Dementia. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease 2018 Nov; 1-11.
- Su D, Michaud TL, Estabrooks P, Schwab RJ, Eiland LA, Hansen G, DeVany M, Zhang D, Li Y, Pagán JA, Siahpush M. Diabetes Management through Remote Patient Monitoring: The Importance of Patient Activation and Engagement with the Technology. Telemedicine and e-Health 2018 Oct.
- Michaud TL. Response to on the costs of home-based telemedicine programs: a comment on Michaud et al. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 2018;34(6):594-594.
- Michaud TL, Zhou J, McCarthy M, Siahpush M, & Su D. Costs of Home-Based Telemedicine Programs: A Systematic Review. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 2018;34(4):410-418.
- Su D, Wang H, Michaud T, Toure D, Do K, Tak HJ. Acculturation and Unmet Health Needs among Refugees in Omaha, Nebraska. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2018 Mar.
- Michaud TL, Siahpush M, Schwab RJ, Eiland LA, DeVany M, Hansen G, Slachetka TS, Boilesen E, Tak HJ, Wilson FA, Wang H, Pagán JA, and Su D. Remote patient monitoring and clinical outcomes for post-discharge patients with type 2 diabetes. Population Health Management 2018; 21(5): 387-394.
- Michaud TL, You W, Wilson KE, Su D, McGuire TM, Almeida FA, Bayer AL, Estabrooks PA. Cost effectiveness and return on investment of a scalable community weight loss intervention. Preventive Medicine 2017, 105, 295-303.
- Michaud TL, Kane RL, McCarten R, Gaugler JE, Nyman JA, and Kuntz KM. Using Cerebrospinal Fluid Biomarker Testing to Target Treatment to Patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. PharmacoEconomics Open 2017, 1-15.
- Michaud TL, High R, Charlton ME, Murman DL. Dependence Stage and Pharmacoeconomic Outcomes in Patients with Alzheimer Disease. Alzheimer Disease & Associated Disorders. 2017 31(3): 209-217.
- Michaud TL, Su D, Siahpush M, and Murman DL. The Risk of Incident MCI and the Progression to Dementia by MCI Subtypes. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders Extra 2017, 7(1):15-29.
- Michaud TL, Nyman JA, Jutkowitz E, Su D, Dowd B, and Abraham JM. Effect of Workplace Weight Management on Health Care Expenditures and Quality of Life. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2016, 58(11): 1073-1078.
- Su D, Zhou J, Kelley MS, Michaud TL, Siahpush M, Kim J, Wilson F, Stimpson JP, and JA Pagán. Does telemedicine improve treatment outcomes for diabetes? A meta-analysis of results from 55 randomized controlled trials. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 2016, 116:136-148.
- Michaud TL, Abraham J, Jalal H, Luepker RV, Duval S, and Hirsch AT. Cost-effectiveness of a statewide campaign to promote aspirin use for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Journal of the American Heart Association 2015, 4(12): e002321.
- Michaud TL, Kane RL, Nyman JA, Gaugler JE, McCarten R, and Kuntz KM. Risk stratification using CSF biomarkers in patients with mild cognitive impairment: an exploratory analysis. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 2015, 47(3): 729-740.
- Jutkowitz E, Nyman JA, Michaud TL, Abraham JM, and Dowd B. For what illnesses is a disease management program most effective? Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2015, 57(2): 117-123.
- Michaud TL, Rho YH, Shamliyan T, Kuntz KM, and Choi HK. The comparative safety of TNF inhibitors in rheumatoid arthritis: a meta-analysis update of 44 Trials. The American Journal of Medicine 2014, 127: 1208-1232.
- Society of Medical Decision Making