Professor & Chair, Department of Health Services Research and Administration
Department of Health Services Research and Administration
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2021–present: Professor and Chair, Department of Health Services Research and Administration, College of Public Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2020: Interim Chair, Department of Health Services Policy and Management, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina
- 2016-2020: Associate Dean for Clinical Public Health – Greenville, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina
- 2015–2016: Director, MPH Program, Department of Health Services Policy and Management, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina
- 2014–2015: Member, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Research Advisory Committee on gulf War Veterans’ Illnesses
- 2013–2020: Director, Institute for the Advancement of Healthcare, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina
- 2013–2020: Professor, Department of Health Services Policy and Management, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina
- 2011–2013: Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati Medical Center
- 2006–2011: Professor and Founding chair, Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati Medical Center
- 2004–2011: Professor, Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center
- 2004–2008: Director, Institute for the Study of Health, University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center
- 2004–2011: Deputy Editor, Journal of General Internal Medicine
- 2001–2004: Program Director, Health Disparities Research, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- 2000–2002: Research Professor, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- 1997–2001: Director, VA Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, Durham, NC
- 1997–present: Deputy Editor, Medical Care
- 1995–1999: Associate Research Professor, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- 1990–1994: Assistant Research Professor, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- 1990 – 2001: Senior Health Scientist, HSR&D Program, VA medical Center, Durham, NC
- 1985 – 1990: Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine, East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, NC
- 1984: PhD, Preventive Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 1981: MS, Preventive Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 1978: MA, Sociology, University of Toledo, Toledo OH
- 1976, BS, Social relations, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH
mHealth technology support in shared decision-making, provider resiliency, and precision clinical management of disease, particularly neurological disease. These interests are components of precision health care delivery that focuses on incorporating patient preferences and desires regarding received health care for the purpose of maximizing health outcomes.
- Horner RD. Patient-centered Medical Home: Maybe It Is Not So Patient Centered. Med Care. 2016 Jan;54(1):1-2. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000461. PMID: 26783856.
- Horner RD. A Perspective on Health Services Research: Comparative Effectiveness Research. Med Care. 2017 Feb;55(2):89-90. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000604. PMID: 27479598.
- Qureshi ZP, Haider MR, Rodriguez-Monguio R, Wooten NR, Nikitin RV, Ball S, Barth K, Elk R, Horner R, Bennett C. Opioid Prescription Drug Use and Expenditures in US Outpatient Physician Offices: Evidence from Two Nationally Representative Surveys. Cancer Ther Oncol Int J. 2017;3(3):555611. doi: 10.19080/CTOIJ.2017.03.555611. Epub 2017 Feb 22. PMID: 28845476; PMCID: PMC5568124.
- Alhasson F, Das S, Seth R, Dattaroy D, Chandrashekaran V, Ryan CN, Chan LS,Testerman T, Burch J, Hofseth LJ, Horner R, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P, Lasley SM, Chatterjee S. Altered gut microbiome in a mouse model of Gulf War Illness causes neuroinflammation and intestinal injury via leaky gut and TLR4 activation. PLoS One. 2017 Mar 22;12(3):e0172914. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0172914. PMID: 28328972; PMCID: PMC5362211.
- Haider MR, Qureshi ZP, Horner R, Friedman DB, Bennett C. What Have Patients Been Hearing From Providers Since the 2012 USPSTF Recommendation Against Routine Prostate Cancer Screening? Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017 Dec;15(6):e977-e985. doi: 10.1016/j.clgc.2017.05.002. Epub 2017 May 10. PMID: 28625690.
- Seth RK, Kimono D, Alhasson F, Sarkar S, Albadrani M, Lasley SK, Horner R, Janulewicz P, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P, Sullivan K, Chatterjee S. Increased butyrate priming in the gut stalls microbiome associated-gastrointestinal inflammation and hepatic metabolic reprogramming in a mouse model of Gulf War Illness. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2018 Jul 1;350:64-77. doi: 10.1016/j.taap.2018.05.006. Epub 2018 May 9. PMID: 29751049; PMCID: PMC6121708.
- Allison JJ, Horner RD, Kiefe C. Personal Bias in Scientific Review: We Can Do Better. Med Care. 2018 Apr;56(4):279-280. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000892. PMID: 29465477.
- Aljabri D, Dumitrascu A, Burton MC, White L, Khan M, Xirasagar S, Horner R, Naessens J. Patient portal adoption and use by hospitalized cancer patients: a retrospective study of its impact on adverse events, utilization, and patient satisfaction. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2018 Jul 27;18(1):70. doi: 10.1186/s12911-018-0644-4. PMID: 30053809; PMCID: PMC6062873
- Alharbi AG, Khan MM, Horner R, Brandt H, Chapman C. Impact of Medicaid coverage expansion under the Affordable Care Act on mammography and pap tests utilization among low-income women. PLoS One. 2019 Apr 3;14(4):e0214886. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0214886. PMID: 30943249; PMCID: PMC6447234
- Alharbi A, Khan MM, Horner R, Brandt H, Chapman C. Impact of removing cost sharing under the affordable care act (ACA) on mammography and pap test use. BMC Public Health. 2019 Apr 3;19(1):370. doi: 10.1186/s12889-019-6665-9. PMID:30943933; PMCID: PMC6446257.
- Horner RD. Collaborative Networks of Health Systems and Social Service Agencies: Clinical Public Health in Action. Med Care. 2019 May;57(5):325-326. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000001102. PMID: 30844904.
- Horner RD, Lines LM. Anatomy of Constructive Peer Review. Med Care. 2019 Jun;57(6):399-400. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000001116. PMID: 31095526.
- Janulewicz PA, Seth RK, Carlson JM, Ajama J, Quinn E, Heeren T, Klimas N, Lasley SM, Horner RD, Sullivan K, Chatterjee S. The Gut-Microbiome in Gulf War Veterans: A Preliminary Report. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019 Oct4;16(19):3751. doi: 10.3390/ijerph16193751. PMID: 31590322; PMCID: PMC6801913.
- Hudson MF, O'Rourke MA, Blackhurst DW, Caldwell J, Horner RD. Clinical Work Intensity Among Medical Oncologists Practicing in National Community Oncology Research Program Community Sites. J Oncol Pract. 2019 Oct;15(10):e870-e877. doi: 10.1200/JOP.19.00132. Epub 2019 Jul 23. PMID: 31335248.
- Kimono D, Sarkar S, Albadrani M, Seth R, Bose D, Mondal A, Li Y, Kar AN,Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P, Sullivan K, Janulewicz P, Lasley S, Horner R, Klimas N, Chatterjee S. Dysbiosis-Associated Enteric Glial Cell Immune-Activation and Redox Imbalance Modulate Tight Junction Protein Expression in Gulf War Illness Pathology. Front Physiol. 2019 Oct 14;10:1229. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2019.01229. PMID: 31680990; PMCID: PMC6802578.
- Seth RK, Maqsood R, Mondal A, Bose D, Kimono D, Holland LA, Janulewicz Lloyd P, Klimas N, Horner RD, Sullivan K, Lim ES, Chatterjee S. Gut DNA Virome Diversity and Its Association with Host Bacteria Regulate Inflammatory Phenotype and Neuronal Immunotoxicity in Experimental Gulf War Illness. Viruses. 2019 Oct21;11(10):968. doi: 10.3390/v11100968. PMID: 31640184; PMCID: PMC6832151.
- Kimono D, Bose D, Seth RK, Mondal A, Saha P, Janulewicz P, Sullivan K, Lasley S, Horner R, Klimas N, Chatterjee S. Host <i>Akkermansia muciniphila</i> Abundance Correlates With Gulf War Illness Symptom Persistence via NLRP3-Mediated Neuroinflammation and Decreased Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor. Neurosci Insights. 2020 Jul 27;15:2633105520942480. doi: 10.1177/2633105520942480. PMID: 32832901; PMCID: PMC7440889.
- Bose D, Mondal A, Saha P, Kimono D, Sarkar S, Seth RK, Janulewicz P, Sullivan K, Horner R, Klimas N, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P, Chatterjee S. TLR Antagonism by Sparstolonin B Alters Microbial Signature and Modulates Gastrointestinal and Neuronal Inflammation in Gulf War Illness Preclinical Model. Brain Sci. 2020 Aug 8;10(8):532. doi: 10.3390/brainsci10080532. PMID: 32784362; PMCID: PMC7463890.
- Bose D, Saha P, Mondal A, Fanelli B, Seth RK, Janulewicz P, Sullivan K, Lasley S, Horner R, Colwell RR, Shetty AK, Klimas N, Chatterjee S. Obesity Worsens Gulf War Illness Symptom Persistence Pathology by Linking Altered Gut Microbiome Species to Long-Term Gastrointestinal, Hepatic, and Neuronal Inflammation in a Mouse Model. Nutrients. 2020 Sep 10;12(9):2764. doi: 10.3390/nu12092764. PMID: 32927823; PMCID: PMC7551189.
- Saha P, Skidmore PT, Holland LA, Mondal A, Bose D, Seth RK, Sullivan K, Janulewicz PA, Horner R, Klimas N, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P, Lim ES, Chatterjee S. Andrographolide Attenuates Gut-Brain-Axis Associated Pathology in Gulf War Illness by Modulating Bacteriome-Virome Associated Inflammation and Microglia-Neuron Proinflammatory Crosstalk. Brain Sci. 2021 Jul 9;11(7):905. doi: 10.3390/brainsci11070905. PMID: 34356139; PMCID: PMC8304847.
- Zgodic A, Eberth JM, Smith BD, Zahnd WE, Adams SA, McKinley BP, Horner RD, O'Rourke MA, Blackhurst DW, Hudson MF. Multilevel predictors of guideline concordant needle biopsy use for non-metastatic breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2021 Aug 17. doi: 10.1007/s10549-021-06352-y. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34405292.