Assistant Professor and Director of Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region
Department of Health Services Research & Administration
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2019 – Present, Director of Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region, Global Center for Health Security, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2016 - Present, Program Manager, Training, Simulation & Quarantine Center (TSQC), University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2016 - Present, Director of Evaluation, National Ebola Treatment & Education Center (NETEC), University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2008-2009, Projects Manager, Al-Mowasat Egypt for Healthcare
- 2008, Deputy Manager and Technical Assistant for the National Health Insurance Project for Egypt, a World Bank project
- 2008, Central Coordinator for the Family Health Fund, Ministry of Health and Population, Egypt
- 2007-2008, Assistant Undersecretary, Specialized Medical Centers, Ministry of Health and population, Egypt
- 2001-2010, Radiology physician, Nile Diagnostic Center, Egypt
- 1999-2006, Officer Physician, Ministry of Interior, Egypt
- 2020, MS, Emergency Preparedness, College of Public Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2017, PhD Health Services Research, Administration and Policy, College of Public Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2009, Global Health Hygiene Strategy Diploma, Claude Bernard University Lyon 1, France
- 2008, Human Resources Management Diploma, American University in Cairo, Egypt
- 2001, Healthcare and Hospital Management Diploma, American University in Cairo, Egypt
- 1996, Bachelor of Surgery and Medicine (MBBCh), Cairo University, Egypt
- Healthcare and hospital management
- Healthcare systems development & technology
- Emergency preparedness, Health Security and Biopreparedness
- Medcalf, S., Roy, S., Bekmuratova, S., ElRayes, W., Sayles, H., Gruba, J., & Shope, R. (2020). From silos to coalitions: The evolution of the US Hospital Preparedness Program. Journal of Emergency Management (Weston, Mass.), 18(2), 163-169.
- ElRayes, W., & Lawler, J. V. (2019). Quarantine Unit Operations. In T. J. Cieslak, M. G. Kortepeter, C. J. Kratochvil & J. V. Lawler (Eds.), Nebraska Isolation & Quarantine Manual (pp. 33-38). University of Nebraska Press.
ElRayes, W., Anthony, R., Kim, J., Rutt, J. N., & Galloway, S.W. (2019). Cultural Intersections of Health: Exploring Sudanese Immigrant Community Views on Health Care and Research. In K. Dombrowski & K. G. Carrasco (Eds.), Reducing Health Disparities, Research Updates From The Field (pp. 148- 161). Syron Design Academic Publishing.
- Jungyoon Kim; Wael ElRayes; Renaisa S Anthony; Kirk Dombrowski; Shinobu Watanabe-Galloway. (2018). A Review of Health Survey Research for People with Refugee Background Resettled from Africa: Research Gaps and Methodological Issues. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities
- Toure, D. M., ElRayes, W., Barnes-Josiah, D., Hartman, T., Klinkebiel, D., & Baccaglini, L. (2018). Epigenetic modifications of human placenta associated with preterm birth: a systematic review. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, 31(4), 530-541.
- Kim, J., ElRayes, W., Wilson, F., Su, D., Oleynikov, D., Morien, M., & Chen, L. W. (2015). Disparities in the receipt of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy: between-hospital and within-hospital analysis using 2009-2011 California inpatient data. BMJ open, 5(4), e007409