Extraordinary Care from Specialists
Our faculty and pediatric dentistry residents specialize in providing the most positive dental experiences possible to help children establish life-long positive relationships with dental care. Recognized as experts in pediatric dentistry, the Pediatric Dentistry Clinic team focuses on providing an all-inclusive approach to the care of both healthy and medically compromised children. We serve over 3,000 infants, children and adolescents each year while training the pediatric dentists of the future.
- Comprehensive oral health care for children with: early childhood caries (cavities), caries and periodontal needs, specific health care needs, significant underlying medical histories and orofacial injuries
- Oral health consultations
- Sedation for mildly anxious and fearful children
- Infant oral health exams
- Early intervention to address dental growth and developmental problems
- Preventive services such as sealants, fluoride varnish applications and oral hygiene instruction
- Comprehensive oral rehabilitation under general anesthesia
- Contemporary restorative care options
- Treatment for patients with cleft lip and palate and other craniofacial anomalies
- Treatment for oral habits that negatively affect proper growth and alignment of teeth
- Consultation with other medical specialties at UNMC and Children’s Hospital and Medical Center
For services requiring sedation, anesthesia and surgery:
You are in good hands with experts trained in how anesthesia, medications and surgery can affect pediatric patients. For patients with complex dental needs, the Pediatric Dentistry Clinic provides services under general anesthesia in the operating room at both Children’s Hospital and the University of Nebraska Medical Center. The faculty and residents of the Pediatric Dentistry Clinic perform over 450 surgical cases a year, often in conjunction with other surgical services in order to better coordinate care and minimize costs to families. Our team provides comprehensive oral health care evaluations and referrals for complex dental and craniofacial conditions.
The Pediatric Dentistry Clinic is open for urgent care appointments during regular clinic hours. Trained staff are available to consult and determine the level of urgency, taking the most severe or significant first.
Only toothaches with swelling and/or bleeding, as well as physical trauma to the teeth and/or face, are considered dental emergencies. Any other condition or situation (e.g. minor toothache, broken or lost fillings) is not considered an emergency and requires a regularly scheduled appointment.
After-hours emergency services are provided seven days a week, 365 days a year, through the emergency rooms at both Children’s Hospital and Medical Center and the University of Nebraska Medical Center.
UNMC College of Dentistry Pediatric Dentistry Clinic
Specialty Pediatric Center, 2nd Floor
Children's Hospital and Medical Center
8200 Dodge Street
Omaha, NE 68114
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Open for urgent care appointments during regular clinic hours.
After-hours emergency services are provided at the emergency rooms of Children's Hospital and Medical Center and the University of Nebraska Medical Center.