Department of Oral Biology
Room 1457, UNMC College of Dentistry
4000 East Campus Loop South
Lincoln, NE 68583-0740
- BS, Biology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- MS, Medical Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- PhD, Physiology, Louisiana State University
- Postdoc, Pathology/Experimental Toxicology, Parke-Davis/Werner-Lambert and Immunopathology, University of Michigan Medical School
- Course Director - Advanced Oral Biology (OBIO 855), Biochemistry for Dental Students (ORBI 545), Critical Thinking I (ORBI 535)
- Course Instructor - A Review of Biomedical/Dental Sciences (ORBI 471), Human Physiology (ORBI 518), Human Physiology (OBIO 818), Review of Biomedical Sciences (ORBI 571), Special Topics in Oral Biology (ORBI 317)
- Neuroendocrine modulation of inflammatory processes
- Stress-induced immunosuppression
- Molecular regulation of estrogen deficient (post-menopausal) bone loss
- UNMC Education Technology Small Grant, "Development of a human physiology review and interactive tutorial." $5,480, Principal Investigator. June 1, 2000 to May 31, 2001.
- American Association of Orthodontists Foundation, "The In Vivo and In Vitro Effects of Known Mechanical Systems on Tooth Movement and Periodontal Ligament Cell Biology." $16,276. Principle Investigator: Laura R. Iwasaki; Co-Investigator: Larry Crouch, July 1, 2000 to June 30, 2001.
- Al-Salleeh, F., Beatty, M.W., Reinhardt, R.A., Petro, T.M., and Crouch, L. Human osteogenic protein-1 induces osteogenic differentiation of adipose-derived stem cells harvested from mice. Arch Oral Biol 53:928-936, 2008.
- Gibson, C.S., Crouch, L.D., Marx, D., Pandey, J.P., Nickel, J.C. and Iwasaki, L.R. Speed of human tooth movement is related to stress and IL-1 gene polymorphisms. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 130(6):698.e1-9, Dec 2006.
- Iwasaki, L.R., Crouch, L.D., Tutor, A., Gibson, S., Hukmani, N., Marx, D.B., and Nickel, J.C. Tooth movement and cytokines in gingival crevicular fluid and whole blood in growing and adult subjects. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 128(4):483-91, Oct 2005.
- Jordan, J.A., Guo, R.F., Yun, E.C., Sarma, V., Warner, R.L., Crouch, L.D., Senaldi, G., Ulich, T.R., and Ward, PA Role of IL-18 in acute lung inflammation. J Immunol (12):7060-8, 2001.
- Rivera-Chavez, F.A., Toledo-Pereyra, L.H., Dean, R.E., Crouch, L. and Ward, PA Exogenous and endogenous nitric oxide but not iNOS inhibition improves function and survival of ischemically injured livers. J Invest Surg 14(5):267-73, 2001.
- Glass, D.A., Fairbanks, K., Crouch, L.D. and Iwasaki, L.R. Interleukin-1 gene polymorphisms and orthodontic tooth movement: What does DNA tell you about bone remodeling? J Dent Hygiene 75:336-337, 2001.
- Bless, N., Huber-Lang, M., Guo, R.F., Warner, R.L., Schmal, H., Czermak, B.J., Shanley, T.P., Crouch, L.D., Lentsch, A.B., Sarma, V., Mulligan, MS, Friedl, H.P., and Ward, P. A. Role of CC chemokines (Macrophage inflammatory protein-1, monocyte chemoattractant protein-1, RANTES) in acute lung injury in rats. J Immunol 164(5):2650-2659, March 2000.
Selected Book Chapters
- Iwasaki, L.R., Crouch, L.D., Reinhardt, R.A. and Nickel, J.C. The velocity of human orthodontic tooth movement is related to stress magnitude, growth status and the ratio of cytokines in gingival crevicular fluid. Biological Mechanisms of Tooth Movement and Craniofacial Adaptation. Davidovitch Z, Mah J. Boston, MA, Harvard Society for the Advancement of Orthodontics, pp. 137-147, 2004
- Levine, A.E., Lambert, H.W., Otsuka, A., and Crouch, L.D. Trends in teaching biochemistry to dental students: Survey results from North American basic science course directors. ADEA Annual Session and Exhibition, San Diego, CA, March 2012.
- Crouch, L.D., Shaw, D.H., and Attanasio, R. Preparing students for critical thinking: Accessing and appraising biomedical evidence. ADEA CCI Liaisons Meeting, Hyatt Regency Cambridge Hotel, Cambridge, MA, June 2010.
- Shaw, D.H., Crouch, L.D. and Attanasio, R. Preparing students for critical thinking: Accessing and appraising biomedical evidence. ADEA CCI Project, 2010 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition, Gaylord National Harbor, Washington, DC, March 2010.
- VanLaecken, R. and Crouch, L. Nicotine and CRLR mRNA expression in MC3T3-E1 osteoblasts. J Dent Res 87(Spec Iss A):0285, 2008.
- Chandler, J., Iwasaki, L., Crouch, L., Reinhardt, R., Marx, D. and Nickel, J. Stress magnitude and interleukin-1 affect the speed of orthodontic tooth movement in humans. Proceedings of 106th Annual Session of the American Association of Orthodontists, 2006.
- Al-Salleeh, F., Beatty, M.W., Reinhardt, R.A., Crouch, L.D. and Petro, T.M. OP-1-Induced osteogenic differentiation of adipose-derived stem cells. J Dent Res 85(Spec Iss B):0269, 2006.
- Welge, M. and Crouch, L. The effect of mechanical stimulation on CRLR mRNA in osteoblast-like cells. Proceedings of 105th Annual Session of the American Association of Orthodontists, 2005.
- Nickel, J.C., Iwasaki, L.R., Gibson, S., Hukmani, N., Crouch, L., Haack, J., and Marx, D.B. The relationship among stress, GCF cytokines, and velocity of tooth movement in humans. J Dent Res 84(Spec Iss A):0412, 2005.
- Gibson, C.S., Crouch, L.D., Marx, D.B., Pandey, J.P., Nickel, J.C., and Iwasaki, L.R. Interleukin-1 gene cluster polymorphisms and velocity of orthodontic tooth movement. J Dent Res 84(Spec Iss A):0255, 2005.
- Gibson, C., Iwasaki, L., Nickel, J., Crouch, L. and Reinhardt, R. Interleukin-1 gene cluster polymorphisms and orthodontic tooth movement. Proceedings of 104th Annual Session of the American Association of Orthodontists, 2004.
- Steckelberg, M.A. and Crouch, L.D. Nicotine suppresses CGRP signaling os osteoblast-like cells. J Dent Res 83(Spec Iss A):2185, 2004.
- VonWald, L, Crouch, L.D., Iwasaki, L.R. and Nickel, J.N. Influence of genotype on interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in gingival crevicular fluid. Proceedings of 104th Annual Session of the American Association of Orthodontists, 2003.
- Ghandi, A. and Crouch, L.D. The effect of nicotine on MCP-1 mRNA expression in human periodontal ligament cells. Proceedings of 104th Annual Session of the American Association of Orthodontists, 2003.
- Crouch, L.D., Cha, A. and Fung, Y.K. Nicotine and calcitonin gene related peptide receptor mRNA expression in osteoblast-like cells. Proceedings of the Nebraska Academy of Sciences, 120:49, 2002.
- Tutor S., Crouch, L.D., Iwasaki, L.R. and Nickel, J.N. Cytokine production in whole blood and primary cultures of periodontal ligament cells. Proceedings of 103rd Annual Session of the American Association of Orthodontists, 2002.
- Crouch, L.D., Cha, A. and Fung, Y.K. Nicotine and calcitonin gene related peptide receptor mRNA expression in osteoblast-like Cells. J Bone Miner Res (Suppl 1):S368, 2001.