Dental Hygiene Program Admissions
We are pleased to learn of your interest in applying to the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry Department of Dental Hygiene. We look forward to receiving your application for the upcoming academic year. The deadline for application submission is February 1st for each academic year.
Gwen L. Hlava, Chair - Department of Dental Hygiene
The Department of Dental Hygiene accepts twenty-four students each year. Applicants must have a minimum total grade point average of 2.5. (The average GPA for the entering classes of the past 10+ years has been 3.5.)
To be considered for acceptance into the next year’s incoming fall class, the dental hygiene program’s admission process begins by completing the online application. Students are urged to begin application procedures as soon as the online application is available for the current application cycle. The College of Dentistry requires a $60 application fee. The department must receive all of the following by the February 1st deadline:
- APPLICATION submitted online, including $60 application fee (paid using personal credit or debit card)
- Dental Hygiene Program Application Cover Sheet
- Application Essay: 1-2 pages explaining why you have selected the dental hygiene profession and the UNMC College of Dentistry
- All Official College Transcripts: From ALL colleges/universities attended (even if transfer credit is not being used from that institution)
- Official High School Transcript
- ACT Scores
- Letters of Recommendation (not required but strongly recommended)
- Photo (optional)
Contact the dental hygiene department for further information at (402) 472-1433.
The dental hygiene admissions committee notifies all applicants of their acceptance or rejection. Upon notice of acceptance for admission to the dental hygiene program, a letter of intent to enroll and a non-refundable deposit of $300 are required. The full amount of the deposit applies toward payment of tuition and fees when the student enrolls.
Applicants will be accepted after presenting evidence of intellectual promise and strong personal qualifications, including good moral character and the desire to serve the public. Consideration is given to personal maturity and professional motivation. Students selected must be committed to scholarly pursuits and have career goals compatible with the philosophy of the baccalaureate program.
Nebraska Residency Requirements
Nebraska Residency Requirements can be found on the UNMC Office of Student Services webpage.