Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
College of Pharmacy
University of Nebraska Medical Center
986125 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6125
Center for Drug Delivery and Nanomedicine (CDDN) website
My main interests are the design of complex multifunctional biomaterials and bioactive small molecules for medicinal applications. The first area focuses on the preparation of self-assembling biomaterials with therapeutic potential against cancer and infectious diseases. These biomaterials will function as supramolecular drugs (nanodrugs) or as nanocarriers for the targeted delivery of novel small molecules. A second area of interest deals with the computer-aided rational drug design and synthesis of heterocyclic small molecules to treat bacterial infections and cancer. In order to do this my lab will get clues from nature and merge the principles of organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry in order to synthesize the molecules and improve their biological activity. Students in my lab will gain skills in diverse areas: computer-aided drug design, classic organic synthesis (including organometallic and peptide chemistry), traditional medicinal chemistry, and material sciences. They will learn analytical and spectroscopic techniques, such as HPLC, IR, NMR, UV-Vis, ESI-MS, MALDI, DLS, Fluorescence microscopy, TEM, and CD.
I am interested in teaching and developing courses in the general areas of Medicinal chemistry, Organic synthesis, Biomaterials, and Drug delivery.
- Seleem, M.; Rodrigues de Almeida, N.; Chhonker, Y. S.; Murry, D. J.; Guterres, Z.; Blocker, A. M.; Kuwabara, S.; Fisher, D. J.; Leal, E. S.; Martinefski, M. R.; Bollini, M.; Monge, M. E.; Ouellette, S.; Conda-Sheridan, M. Synthesis and Antichlamydial Activity of Potential Activators of Cylindrical Proteases. Submitted to J. Med. Chem. Manuscript ID: jm-2019-01466b
- Sang, M.; Wang, H.; Shen, Y.; Rodriguez de Almeida, N.; Conda-Sheridan, M., Li, Y.; Du, L. Identification of an anti-MRSA cyclic lipodepsipeptide, WBP-29479A1, by genome mining of Lysobacter antibioticus. Org. Lett. 2019, 21, 6432-6436
- Rodriguez de Almeida, N.; Catazaro, J.; Chhonker, Y.; Murry, D.; Powers, R.; Conda-Sheridan, M. Understanding interactions of Citropin 1.1 analogues with model membranes and their influence on biological activity. Peptides 2019, 170119
- Zaldivar, G.; Vemulapalli, S.; Udumula, V.; Conda-Sheridan, M.*; Tagliazucchi, M. Self-Assembled Nanostructures of Peptide-Amphiphiles: Charge Regulation by Size Regulation. J. Phys. Chem. C 2019, 123, 17606-17615
- Rodrigues de Almeida, N.; Han, Y.; Perez, J.; Kirkpatrick, S.; Wang, Y.; Conda-Sheridan, M. Design, Synthesis, and Nanostructure-Dependent Antibacterial Activity of Cationic Peptide Amphiphiles. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces. 2019, 11, 2790-2801
- Rodriguez de Almeida, N.; Conda-Sheridan, M. A Review of the Molecular Design and Biological Activities of RXR Agonists. Med. Res. Rev. 2019, 39, 1372-1397
- Wood, N.; Chung, K.; Blocker, A.; Rodriguez de Almeida, N.; Conda-Sheridan, M.; Fisher, D.; Ouellette, S. Initial Characterization of the Two ClpP Paralogs of Chlamydia trachomatis Suggests Unique Functionality for Each. J. Bacteriol. 2018, JB.00635-18
- Zaldivar, G.; Samad, M.; Conda-Sheridan, M.; Tagliazucchi, M. Self-Assembly of Model Short Triblock Amphiphiles in Dilute Solution. Soft Matter 2018, 14, 3171-3181
- Samad, M.; Krishnaiah, M.; Rodriguez de Almeida, N.; Conda-Sheridan, M. Facile Protocol for the Synthesis of Self-Assembling Polyamine-based Peptide Amphiphiles (PPAs) and Related Biomaterials. JoVE. 2018, 25.
- Krishnaiah, M.; Rodrigues de Almeida, N.; Udumula, V.; Song, Z.; Chhonker, Y. S.; Abdelmoaty, M.; Aragao do Nascimento, V.; Murry, D. J.; Conda-Sheridan, M. Synthesis, biological evaluation, and metabolic stability of new antibacterial phenazines. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2018, 143, 936-947