In 1907, Dr. Rufus A. Lyman, a professor and physician in the University of Nebraska College of Medicine, urged the University to begin a pharmacy school. On April 23, 1908, the Board of Regents established a School of Pharmacy within the College of Medicine, and approved the appointment of Dr. Lyman as Director. In 1915, the Nebraska Legislature created the College of Pharmacy as a freestanding college of the University of Nebraska on the Lincoln campus. Dr. Lyman was appointed founding Dean of the College of Pharmacy.
The College moved to the Medical Center campus in Omaha in 1976. At the same time, the College of Pharmacy initiated a new pharmacy curriculum, the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) Program, becoming only the third pharmacy school in the nation to offer the PharmD as the sole degree of the professional program when the Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy was the principal professional degree offered by all of the remaining 69 colleges and schools of pharmacy. Today, there are greater than 103 accredited U.S. colleges and schools of pharmacy, and the PharmD is the only entry level degree of the profession.
The College’s Doctor of Pharmacy Program was granted continued accreditation by the Accreditation Council on Pharmacy Education through June, 2021.