Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
College of Pharmacy
University of Nebraska Medical Center
986025 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6025
At the professional level, Dr. Marky lectures in Pharmaceutical Biochemistry where he is the course coordinator, and one elective course Therapeutic Applications of Proteins and Nucleic Acids. At the graduate level, Dr. Marky is the course coordinator for Quantitative Pharmaceutical Analysis and Biophysical Chemistry. In addition, he lectures in Physical Pharmacy and Advanced Medicinal Chemistry. Dr. Marky is a former Fulbright Scholar (Peru-98).
The research interests of Dr. Marky are in the area of the biophysics of nucleic acids. The main focus is on the molecular forces that control the conformational stability and flexibility of nucleic acids, including short and long linear duplexes; duplexes with single and double hairpins, bulges, mismatches, internal loops; bent duplexes; three and four-way immobile junctions; uni- bi- and tri-molecular triplexes; G-quadruplexes; i-motif tetraplexes and hemiprotonated cytosine duplexes; complexes containing joint duplex and triplex motifs; pseudoknots and duplexes containing modified nucleotides (adducts). He is also investigating the interaction of ligands (including clinical agents) with nucleic acids as a function of binding mode, nucleic acid conformation, sequence specificity, and solution conditions. Furthermore, he is investigating the targeting of non-canonical DNA and RNA structures with complementary strands and the interaction of oligonucleotides with polycationic micelles for oligonucleotide cellular delivery to block the expression of genes. Lastly, the role of water on the conformational stability of biomolecules is being studied by examining sequence hydration effects in nucleic acids, drug-nucleic acid complexes, DNA covalent adducts, and protein-DNA interactions.
- Carr, C. E.; Khutsishvili, I.; Gold, B.I. and Marky, L. A. “Thermodynamic Stability of DNA Duplexes Comprising the Simplest T → dU Substitutions.” Biochemistry 2018, 57, 5666-5671. DOI: 10.1021/acs.biochem.8b00676
- Carr, C. E.; Khutsishvili, I. and Marky, L. A. “Energetics, Ion and Water Binding of the Unfolding of AA/UU Base Pair Stacks and UAU/UAU Base Triplet Stacks in RNA.” Phys. Chem. B. 2018, 122, 7057-7065. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcb.8b05575.
- Carr, C. E., Marky, L. A. “Increased Flexibility Between Stems of Intramolecular Three-way Junctions by the Insertion of Bulges.” J. 2018, 114, 2764-2774. DOI:10.1016/j.bpj.2018.05.001
- Carr, C.E.; Reiling-Steffensmeier, C.; Lee, H.-T.; Soto, A. M.; Khutsishvili, I.; Prislan, I. and Marky, L. A. “Unfolding Thermodynamics of Nucleic Acids: Determining Heat Capacity Effects Using Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC).” 2018, Chapter 1, 1-41. In: Woods A. and Chavez L. Eds, Differential Scanning Calorimetry: Basics and Applications. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. Hauppauge, NY. ISBN: 978-1-53613-335-6
- Carr, C. E.; Ganugula, R.; Shikiya, R.; Soto, A. M. and Marky, L. A. "Effect of dC → d(m5C) Substitutions on the Folding of Intramolecular Triplexes with Mixed TAT and C+GC Base Triplets." Biochimie 2018, 146, 156-165. DOI: 1016/j.biochi. 2017.12.008
- Johnson, S.E.; Reiling-Steffensmeier, C.; Lee, H.-T. and Marky, L. A. "Unfolding and Targeting Thermodynamics of a DNA Intramolecular Complex with Joined Triplex-Duplex Domains." Phys. Chem. B. 2018, 122, 1102-1111. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcb.7b10379
- Carr, C. E.; Marky, L. A. "Effect of GCAA Stabilizing Loops on Three- and Four-way Intramolecular Junctions." Physical Chemistry and Chemical Physics 2018, 20, 5046-5056. DOI: 1039/ c7cp08329g
- Reiling-Steffensmeier, C.; Marky, L.A. "Structural Insight on the Unbound State of the DNA Analog of the preQ1 Riboswitch: A Thermodynamic Approach." Biochemistry 2017, 56, 6231-6239. DOI:10.1021/acs.biochem.7b00596.
- Carr, C.E.; Marky, L.A. “Melting Behavior of a DNA Four-way Junction Using Spectroscopic and Calorimetric Techniques.” Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 14443–14455. DOI:10.1021/jacs.7b06429
- Lee, H.-T.; Carr, C.E.; Khutsishvili, I; Marky, L.A. "Effect of Loop Length and Sequence on the Stability of DNA Pyrimidine Triplexes with TAT Base Triplets." Phys. Chem. B. 2017, 121, 9175–9184. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcb.7b07591